Two-time Heavyweight Champion Herbie Hide special guest at Wisbech boxing show
Story by: ADAM LAZZARI TWO-TIME world heavyweight champion Herbie Hide is coming to Wisbech to be a special guest at the town s first boxing show in five years. Fourteen bouts have been scheduled for the dinner show at Thomas Clarkson Community College on
Story by: ADAM LAZZARI
TWO-TIME world heavyweight champion Herbie Hide is coming to Wisbech to be a special guest at the town's first boxing show in five years.
Fourteen bouts have been scheduled for the dinner show at Thomas Clarkson Community College on October 17 and tickets are still available.
Boxers are coming from across the country and the Norwich-based Hide will present trophies.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech Amateur Boxing Club secretary Saphire Lee said: "My husband has been friends with Herbie for years. He's a lovely bloke and always has time to encourage young boxers.
"He was due to fight in Germany but the match was called off and that enabled him to come to our show, which is fantastic news.
- 1 Emporium takes business to next level
- 2 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 3 Man found dead in March
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Family friends to cycle from Wales to Wisbech to create more happy memories
- 7 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 8 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
"We have lined up fights for every one of the Wisbech boxers and boxers from London, Luton, Nottingham, Grimsby as well as other local clubs like Chatteris and Haddenham."
Fenland's boxing fans will get a rare chance to see Wisbech's European schoolboy champion Eli Frankham in action.
The 16-year-old from Walpole St Andrew had a superb season last year, winning the Junior ABAs, National Boys Club Championships and a European title in Denmark. Last month, he won the Mid-Anglia Junior Boxer of the Year Award in St Ives.
Mrs Lee said: "At the moment we are uncertain exactly who Eli will be fighting but he will definitely have a fight.
"It should be a spectacular night and we're really looking forward to it."
She added: "We've had so much trouble finding a venue to hold a show and we are incredibly grateful to Thomas Clarkson Community College for having us.
"There has been a lot of interest in the town and I hope we have a good turnout of people showing their support.
"Four years without a show is far too long and if this event is a success we will definitely start to put on some regular shows."
• Doors open at 7pm and tickets cost �30 with a three-course dinner and �12 without. People are advised to book tickets as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
CONTACT: Mrs Lee on 01945 583266.