Two-time Heavyweight Champion Herbie Hide special guest at Wisbech boxing show
Story by: ADAM LAZZARI TWO-TIME world heavyweight champion Herbie Hide is coming to Wisbech to be a special guest at the town s first boxing show in five years. Fourteen bouts have been scheduled for the dinner show at Thomas Clarkson Community College on
Story by: ADAM LAZZARI
TWO-TIME world heavyweight champion Herbie Hide is coming to Wisbech to be a special guest at the town's first boxing show in five years.
Fourteen bouts have been scheduled for the dinner show at Thomas Clarkson Community College on October 17 and tickets are still available.
Boxers are coming from across the country and the Norwich-based Hide will present trophies.
Wisbech Amateur Boxing Club secretary Saphire Lee said: "My husband has been friends with Herbie for years. He's a lovely bloke and always has time to encourage young boxers.
"He was due to fight in Germany but the match was called off and that enabled him to come to our show, which is fantastic news.
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 3 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 Andre Rieu brings new summer concert to Cambridgeshire cinemas
- 6 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 7 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 8 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 9 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 10 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
"We have lined up fights for every one of the Wisbech boxers and boxers from London, Luton, Nottingham, Grimsby as well as other local clubs like Chatteris and Haddenham."
Fenland's boxing fans will get a rare chance to see Wisbech's European schoolboy champion Eli Frankham in action.
The 16-year-old from Walpole St Andrew had a superb season last year, winning the Junior ABAs, National Boys Club Championships and a European title in Denmark. Last month, he won the Mid-Anglia Junior Boxer of the Year Award in St Ives.
Mrs Lee said: "At the moment we are uncertain exactly who Eli will be fighting but he will definitely have a fight.
"It should be a spectacular night and we're really looking forward to it."
She added: "We've had so much trouble finding a venue to hold a show and we are incredibly grateful to Thomas Clarkson Community College for having us.
"There has been a lot of interest in the town and I hope we have a good turnout of people showing their support.
"Four years without a show is far too long and if this event is a success we will definitely start to put on some regular shows."
• Doors open at 7pm and tickets cost �30 with a three-course dinner and �12 without. People are advised to book tickets as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
CONTACT: Mrs Lee on 01945 583266.