More than two million pumpkins to be sold in Asda stores nationwide - and they all come from Upwell farm KJ Curson Growers
- Credit: Archant
An Upwell farm has grown more than two million pumpkins to be sold in Asda stores around the country in time for Halloween.
KJ Curson Growers in Upwell, Wisbech, supplies more than 500 Asda stores in the UK and this year the pumpkins have been bigger than ever due to warm weather and rain.
The extra-large pumpkins, from varieties named ’Big Doris’ and ‘Gladiator’, weigh up to 30 kilos- almost six times the common varieties of pumpkins, which weigh on average five kilos.
Planted in May, the weather conditions have helped the crop develop and harvest being brought forward, with each individual vegetable going from seed to fully-fledged pumpkin in 110 days.
Kevin Curson, Asda pumpkin grower, said: “The British weather can be your best friend or worst enemy when it comes to harvest time.
You may also want to watch:
“We planted the pumpkin seeds several months back and have since been blessed with the weather, which has boosted the size and number of pumpkins we’re harvesting.
“We’d been checking on the pumpkins regularly and were surprised to see that the weather conditions meant we had to bring forward the start of harvest to September 1.
- 1 Body found in Wisbech road
- 2 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 3 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 4 Mayor opens Wisbech community hub
- 5 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
- 6 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 7 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 8 Loft gives up its secret: £60,000 of cannabis plants
- 9 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
“Whilst earlier than expected, we always ensure we’re picking pumpkins when they’re at their best, so it was important to get the operation moving quickly.”
Jon Wynn, Asda vegetable technical manager, added: “In recent years, we’ve seen a huge increase in the demand for pumpkins as more households adopt Halloween as an annual tradition.
“Thanks to a bumper crop, Asda had over two million pumpkins available of all shapes and sizes and in perfect condition for creepy carving and trick or treating.”
In two years, Asda has seen almost double the amount of pumpkin sales around Halloween. In 2015, 1.35 million pumpkins were sold, with 2.2 million predicted for this year.
Kevin Curson’s top pumpkin tip to look after pumpkins at home prior to carving is to keep them stored in a dry and cool environment and let them get plenty of air around them.