Two major fashion and film designers share their expertise at Thomas Clarkson Academy
- Credit: Archant
Students enjoyed two visits from designers who have worked in the fashion and film industries.
Shoe designer Gemma Rorison and costume designer and interpreter Maria Ibbott, who has worked on James Bond and Harry Potter films, spoke about their careers at Thomas Clarkson Academy.
Mrs Rorison started her studies in Wisbech before working for several international fashion companies and now works as a freelance designer, designing shoes for companies including Brantano, KangaROOS and Asda.
She spoke to the students about the training she undertook and explained the different stages of shoe design.
Costume designer and interpreter Maria Ibbott
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Ibbott spoke to sixth form art students about the path her career and studies had taken and showed her portfolio of costume designs.
She explained the design and construction processes from researching historical fashion trends to drawings, dying materials and collaborating with directors, actors and movie stars.
- 1 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
- 2 Busy month as port handles nine ships in May
- 3 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 4 Couple swap healthcare for glamping with new venture
- 5 Damning care home report reveals all areas ‘require improvement’
- 6 Campsite owner's pledge to conserve water meadow
- 7 Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- 8 Free public transport app launched to help Cambs passengers
- 9 RAF Lakenheath fly-over in memory of US airman Kenneth ‘Kage’ Allen
Art teacher Rob Dempsey said: “We really appreciated Gemma coming in and giving the students a taste of her career path and what working as a professional designer involves.
“She had a very good rapport with the pupils and was very appreciative of the standard of work and creative talent among the students.
“It was a great opportunity for students to meet someone with experience of working for the National Theatre as well as on James Bond and the first Harry Potter films.
“Maria had lots of useful guidance and tips about how to get started in an art and design related career.”