Two dead and up to 20 injured - nine seriously - after double decker bus involved in collision with HGV on A47
- Credit: © terry-harris.com
Two passengers on a double decker bus travelling between Peterborough and Wisbech were killed today after a collision with an HGV at Thorney Toll.
The two victims, both men, died at the scene.
Their families have been informed.
A police spokesman said: “Investigations continue at the scene and the road remains closed.
“People are advised to avoid the area or expect delays. Anyone travelling in the area is advised to carry water in case of delays due to the hot weather.”
You may also want to watch:
A total of 20 people, who were travelling in the bus, were injured – nine are seriously injured and 11 have minor injuries. They have been taken to Peterborough City Hospital and the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Kings Lynn.
Drivers heading eastbound are being directed to take the Whitepost roundabout to the A1139, and then head southbound towards Parnwell, and then take the A604 east to the Fletton Interchange, then the A141 to re-join the A47 at Guyhirn. Drivers heading westbound are being directed to follow this diversion route in reverse.
- 1 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 2 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 3 A47 to close overnight near Wisbech for roadworks
- 4 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 5 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 8 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 9 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 10 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
The East of England Ambulance Service Trust (EEAST) said they were called to Thorney Road, Guyhirn, following reports of a collision between a double-decker bus and an HGV.
“ It was declared as a major incident because of the number of patients involved and the critical consequences to service delivery locally, but we ‘stood down’ from this at 9.50am,” said the spokesman.
The ambulance service had earlier sent several ambulances and officers, two rapid response vehicles, a Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) and Magpas Air Ambulance to the scene.
“The clinicians cared for several injured patients, and have conveyed 16 to Peterborough City Hospital and Queen Elizabeth hospitals,” said the spokesman.
“Again, we thank members of the public for their co-operation whilst all emergency services worked quickly at the scene to help all those involved.
Mr Barclay, the MP for NE Cambridgeshire and a Government health minister, tweeted: “Concerning news locally of road fatalities and injuries at Thorney Toll.
“If any constituents are affected and need support in the coming days please get in touch via my constituency office.”
A spokesman for Magpas said: “Our enhanced doctor and paramedic team were called to a major incident on the A47 in the Wisbech area, involving an HGV and a bus.
“Approximately 15 people have been injured. All emergency services are on the scene.”
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Police said: “Police are currently at the scene of a serious collision on Thorney Road, Guyhirn.
“Two vehicles are involved in the collision, which happened at around 7.30am, and a number of people are believed to be seriously injured.
“The road is currently closed and people are asked to avoid the area or expect delays.
“Police are appealing for witnesses to the incident to contact them on 101.”
The A47 is closed in both directions between the B1167 and the A141 near Guyhirn due to a serious collision.
Highways Agency advice has been issued to road users travelling eastbound to please follow below:
* At Whitepost roundabout take the 3rd exit to join the A1139 south towards Parnwell.
* Continue on the A1139 until the A605.
* Join the A605 east towards Fletton Interchange.
* At the interchange take the exit slip and follow the A605 east through Whittlesey and Coates.
* Take the A141 to rejoin the A47 at Guyhirn.
If travelling westbound, please complete the above in reverse.
Please allow extra time for your journey should you be travelling in the area.