Great day for Wisbech at celebration of our twin French town Arles
- Credit: Archant
Molly dancers, Keith Aplin on his squeeze box and a variety of singers and entertainment enlivened Wisbech on Sunday during Arles Day.
The event is part of the annual celebrations that commemorate the twinning of Arles with Wisbech that is now in its 56th year.
Wisbech members pay occasional visits to their French twin but for the past week has hosted visitors from Arles that cumulated in Sunday’s celebrations.
Arles twinning officials say they regularly get asked why the twinning festival is held the week after Rose Fair but not included: they believe the less hurried pace of the town post Rose Fair offers a better chance to see and enjoy the Fenland community.
The French visitors had plenty of cheer this year – not least the success of their own country in the World Cup final later in the day.
You may also want to watch:
A barbecue, bowls match and a civic reception were part of the entertainment provided throughout the week by the Wisbech hosts.
- 1 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 2 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 The Queen Elizabeth Hospital launches Covid-19 patient helpline
- 5 Man charged with drink driving, possession of a knife and cannabis
- 6 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 7 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide