Great day for Wisbech at celebration of our twin French town Arles
- Credit: Archant
Molly dancers, Keith Aplin on his squeeze box and a variety of singers and entertainment enlivened Wisbech on Sunday during Arles Day.
The event is part of the annual celebrations that commemorate the twinning of Arles with Wisbech that is now in its 56th year.
Wisbech members pay occasional visits to their French twin but for the past week has hosted visitors from Arles that cumulated in Sunday’s celebrations.
Arles twinning officials say they regularly get asked why the twinning festival is held the week after Rose Fair but not included: they believe the less hurried pace of the town post Rose Fair offers a better chance to see and enjoy the Fenland community.
The French visitors had plenty of cheer this year – not least the success of their own country in the World Cup final later in the day.
You may also want to watch:
A barbecue, bowls match and a civic reception were part of the entertainment provided throughout the week by the Wisbech hosts.
- 1 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 2 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 3 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 4 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 5 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 6 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 7 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 8 New independent funeral service opens in Wisbech
- 9 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 10 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election