Great day for Wisbech at celebration of our twin French town Arles
- Credit: Archant
Molly dancers, Keith Aplin on his squeeze box and a variety of singers and entertainment enlivened Wisbech on Sunday during Arles Day.
The event is part of the annual celebrations that commemorate the twinning of Arles with Wisbech that is now in its 56th year.
Wisbech members pay occasional visits to their French twin but for the past week has hosted visitors from Arles that cumulated in Sunday’s celebrations.
Arles twinning officials say they regularly get asked why the twinning festival is held the week after Rose Fair but not included: they believe the less hurried pace of the town post Rose Fair offers a better chance to see and enjoy the Fenland community.
The French visitors had plenty of cheer this year – not least the success of their own country in the World Cup final later in the day.
You may also want to watch:
A barbecue, bowls match and a civic reception were part of the entertainment provided throughout the week by the Wisbech hosts.
- 1 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 8 Take 10 initiative leaves students ‘buzzing’ about literacy
- 9 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash