Tropical Devil's Snare - featured in the Harry Potter series - found in Wisbech garden
IT S found in the Amazon and features in the Harry Potter books so John Balls was amazed to find the deadly tropical plant Devil s Snare growing in his Wisbech garden. In fact the 53-year-old had no idea what the strange plant also known as Datura stramon
IT'S found in the Amazon and features in the Harry Potter books so John Balls was amazed to find the deadly tropical plant Devil's Snare growing in his Wisbech garden.
In fact the 53-year-old had no idea what the strange plant also known as Datura stramonium was until he saw it featured on TV.
Mr Balls of Peldon Drive said: "It was identified by some experts as this Devil's Snare. I sat there thinking that is what I have got in my garden."
Just how the plant, which is used by South American Indians on their hunting spears and by Hindu monks for its hallucinogenic qualities, came to take root in Wisbech remains a mystery. The seeds could have travelled the thousands of miles in the stomachs of birds before being deposited in the Fens.
While experts have advised anyone finding the plant to wrap it in plastic before pulling it up and disposing of it Mr Balls says he is going to leave it to see what happens.
He said: "I don't think it will poison me just be touching it, I haven't been poisoned yet. It has things on which look like conkers so I will be interested to see if they open up."
- 1 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 2 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 3 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 4 Painter who captured town before 1978 floods finishes 44 years on
- 5 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 6 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 7 Voi trial ‘confuses people’ about illegal e-scooters
- 8 Farmer ‘feeling low’ due to increasingly difficult working conditions
- 9 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
- 10 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
In the Harry Potter stories first year students at Hogwarts learn about Devil's Snare in herb classes.