Brewers toast Elgood’s of Wisbech on opening night of beer festival with top honours for their QE Cherry Wheat offering
- Credit: Archant
Earl Soham brewery in Suffolk and Elgood’s brewery from Wisbech have taken home the two top spots at the SIBA East Independent Beer Awards, taking home overall gold in the “cask” and “bottled & canned” beer competitions respectively.
The awards, run by the Society of Independent Brewers (SIBA), and held at Elgood’s prior to their beer festival opening, are judged by brewers and beer experts and seen very much as the brewers’ choice awards in the industry.
Earl Soham Brewery’s “Albert Ale” took home the overall gold in the cask competition and is a traditional best bitter with delicate bitterness from the British Fuggles hops and a delicious balance of malt and hop character.
Elgood’s brewery’s “QE Cherry Wheat” is a different beer altogether - a cloudy wheat beer infused with cherry juice for a sweet, fruity flavour and slight tartness – showing the diversity of these exciting awards.
SIBA competitions committee chairman Guy Sheppard, who presented the awards, said: “The SIBA East Independent Beer Awards judge the very best cask, bottled and canned beers from the region and the overall winners can be considered the very best of the best in terms of independent craft beers from the area.
You may also want to watch:
“The winners will now go on to the national finals in Liverpool next year and I wish them all the best of luck, with particular praise due to our overall champions Earl Soham and Elgood’s.”
Elgood’s head brewer Alan Pateman, who said: “This award is recognition of the hard work that has gone into developing our new-style beers which come from a completely new style of brewing.
- 1 Police accuse Wisbech mayor and pub landlord of 'insulting disregard' to licensing objectives
- 2 Jail for sex offender who went abroad and missed his appointments
- 3 LETTER: High Covid rates in Wisbech and 'sceptic' councillors?
- 4 Two-car collision on A47
- 5 Port of Wisbech continues to defy the trend with 'remarkable' turnout
- 6 Police arrest 13 people, seize guns and more than £200k of drugs
- 7 Rail travel in the Fens is going to be much nicer
- 8 Horror crash all because BMW driver left home with frozen windscreen
- 9 'He absolutely pummeled me' - Man, 70, describes vicious attack
- 10 A 42-bedroom hotel with ballroom and set in three acres for sale
“Our unique, spontaneously fermented sour beers and fruited wheat beers are a new thing for many British drinkers but our Cherry wheat is sweeter and fruity and proving really popular thanks to its approachable, full fruity flavour.”
The competition took place immediately before the opening of the Elgood’s beer festival taking place at Elgood’s in Wisbech, which continues today, Friday 21st 5-10.30pm and Saturday 22nd 12 midday until 10.30pm.
The festival features over 150 beers from independent craft breweries and will give the chance to be the first to try the region’s newly award-winning beers.