TRIBUTE TO THE BISHOP OF PETERBOROUGH WHO DIED SUDDENLY YESTERDAY
THE Bishop of Peterborough, Ian Cundy, has died. Tributes have already begun pouring in for the Bishop, including one from the Bishop of Ely, Dr Anthony Russell. An Ely diocesan spokesman said a short while ago: It is with great sadness that the Bishop o
THE Bishop of Peterborough, Ian Cundy, has died.
Tributes have already begun pouring in for the Bishop, including one from the Bishop of Ely, Dr Anthony Russell.
An Ely diocesan spokesman said a short while ago: "It is with great sadness that the Bishop of Ely, Dr Anthony Russell, and his senior staff received the news of the death of the Bishop of Peterborough. Bishop Ian Cundy also held a position in the Diocese of Ely as Assistant Bishop."
The Bishop of Peterborough died suddenly yesterday afternoon after collapsing on his way to a family event in the West country.
You may also want to watch:
"Ian was a particularly good friend and a deeply respected pastor and bishop," said Dr Anthony Russell. "He will be remembered for his important contribution to the Church of England, especially his part in ecumenical matters."
"His wisdom and friendship will be greatly missed. Our prayers and deepest sympathy are with his wife Jo and their family," he added.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'much loved' Gabija killed in A605 crash
- 2 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 3 Police share images of Wisbech cannabis factory
- 4 Fenland Council loses fight to stop incinerator survey
- 5 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 6 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault
- 7 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 8 'Sports cages' designed by Cambs company are helping children stay active
- 9 Family tribute to grandfather killed in A1123 crash
- 10 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned
As neighboring Bishops, both have worked together closely during the past decade. One of their notable achievements was to end a centuries-old anomaly in which a substantial part of Peterborough city fell within the jurisdiction of Ely Diocese. In 2004 they drew up an agreement to share the care and administration of parishes within the south Peterborough area.
To symbolize this move Bishop Ian Cundy became an Assistant Bishop within the Ely Diocese.