TRIBUTE TO THE BISHOP OF PETERBOROUGH WHO DIED SUDDENLY YESTERDAY
THE Bishop of Peterborough, Ian Cundy, has died. Tributes have already begun pouring in for the Bishop, including one from the Bishop of Ely, Dr Anthony Russell. An Ely diocesan spokesman said a short while ago: It is with great sadness that the Bishop o
THE Bishop of Peterborough, Ian Cundy, has died.
Tributes have already begun pouring in for the Bishop, including one from the Bishop of Ely, Dr Anthony Russell.
An Ely diocesan spokesman said a short while ago: "It is with great sadness that the Bishop of Ely, Dr Anthony Russell, and his senior staff received the news of the death of the Bishop of Peterborough. Bishop Ian Cundy also held a position in the Diocese of Ely as Assistant Bishop."
The Bishop of Peterborough died suddenly yesterday afternoon after collapsing on his way to a family event in the West country.
"Ian was a particularly good friend and a deeply respected pastor and bishop," said Dr Anthony Russell. "He will be remembered for his important contribution to the Church of England, especially his part in ecumenical matters."
"His wisdom and friendship will be greatly missed. Our prayers and deepest sympathy are with his wife Jo and their family," he added.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 3 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 4 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 5 Detectives given longer to question Downham Market murder suspects
- 6 Murder probe sends 'shockwaves' through community
- 7 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 8 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 9 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 10 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
As neighboring Bishops, both have worked together closely during the past decade. One of their notable achievements was to end a centuries-old anomaly in which a substantial part of Peterborough city fell within the jurisdiction of Ely Diocese. In 2004 they drew up an agreement to share the care and administration of parishes within the south Peterborough area.
To symbolize this move Bishop Ian Cundy became an Assistant Bishop within the Ely Diocese.