Trevor - who had be resuscitated 16 times - thanks Queen Elizabeth Hospital for saving his life after heart attack
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech man who had to be resuscitated 16 times after having a heart attack has thanked the hospital staff who saved his life.
Trevor Whitby was rushed to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital last year following a cardiac arrest.
He then underwent a life-saving operation before spending six weeks at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital critical care unit but was not expected to make a full recovery.
But Mr Whitby was discharged on his 70th birthday and is now back enjoying building ramps, looking after his garden and spending time with his grandsons, Oliver and Samuel.
His wife, Sarah, said: “The care he received was unbelievable. They never gave up.
You may also want to watch:
“We had placed a photograph of Oliver and Samuel at the bottom of his bed. I think that kept him going.”
Trevor returned to the hospital last week with his daughters Claire and Lucy to donate a cheque for £350 which was raised during his birthday celebrations.
- 1 The Great British Sunday is a rush to the pumps not the piers
- 2 Frisson of excitement for Nissen as wartime hut sells for £169,000
- 3 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 4 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 5 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 6 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 7 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 8 Community group to review case of missing Terry McSpadden
- 9 Fenmen caught napping as Fenland sides suffer weekend pain
- 10 Body found in Wisbech road
“It’s emotional to be back here as I don’t remember it,” Mr Whitby said.
“I was determined to get back to full health.”
Trevor’s family donated a further £350 to the East of England Ambulance Service.
His daughter, Claire, said: “Dad would not be here without the unit. They looked after him so well.”