Trees planted for Wisbech park opening vandalised
TREES planted at the Wisbech Adventure Playground in preparation for its official opening on May 7 have already been vandalised.
Staff, contractors and local residents helped with the planting of approximately 50 trees on the site. The trees are the first part of the landscaping of the site following the development of the playground at The Spinney.
Children and young people helped to plant some of the trees and were involved in watering the trees once they were in the ground.
But anti park campaigner Alan Lay took these photos of the trees the day after they had been planted.
Jane Leet, communications and partnership manager for the park, said: “I am disappointed to see the damage to the new trees and we are arranging for someone to come and re-stake and re-secure the new trees.”
The council had earlier thanked the children, young people and local residents who live near the site for helping with the planting and watering of the new trees.
Nearby residents allowed organisers to connect their hoses to their household water supply in cases where hoses could not reach.
- 1 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 2 'Wide range of people' will benefit from village homes, say developers
- 3 Woman in court over town pub burglary
- 4 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 5 Princess hears first hand account of modern slavery
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 8 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 9 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 10 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
The official opening of the playground will be on Saturday 7 May from 12 noon to 4pm.
Ms Leet, in response to other issues to put by Mr Lay, added: “I am concerned that there has been another issue with the timing of the lock and unlock”. The issue has been raised with the security contractor.