Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Google
One person has died following a four-vehicle crash near Sawtry.
The incident happened at just before 7am this morning (January 17) on the A1 Northbound near Sawtry.
Police says the road has been closed and will remain so for some time, please avoid the area.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Police said: "We are appealing for witnesses, dashcam footage or anyone who saw the vehicles in the moments leading up to the incident to get in touch.
"Please contact us via web chat, online forms or call 101, quoting incident 77 of January 17."
The road is closed is closed northbound between the A141 (near Brampton Hut) and J15 (Sawtry) due to a serious collision involving at least five vehicles.
All emergency services including Cambridge Police are on scene. National Highways Traffic Officers are also on scene assisting with traffic management.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 3 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
- 4 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 6 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 7 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
- 8 Met Office forecast for Cambridgeshire after weekend of mixed weather
- 9 Recap: A47 shut near Wisbech and King's Lynn after evening crash
- 10 Man arrested after 'game of hide and seek' with police dogs and helicopter
Road users are being diverted.
Traffic is being diverted
At the A141/A1 Brampton Hut Interchange, take the first exit on to the A141 westbound
At the next roundabout, take the second exit and at the next roundabout, the second exit again to join the A14 westbound at J21
Continue on the A14 to J13 at Thrapston and take the exit
At the roundabout, take the third exit on to the A605
At the next roundabout, take the second exit and continue on to the A605 through Lilford, Ashton and Eaglethorpe for approx. 14 miles
Rejoin the A1 northbound at Fletton Parkway Interchange
If this closure impacts on your planned route, please allow extra journey time. Plan ahead, you may wish to re-route or even delay your journey.
Further information is available from National Highways by visiting here
www.trafficengland.com website and travel apps, or via our regional twitter feed. Our 24/7 contact centre team is also available to provide up to the minute information on 0300 123 5000.