Motorists face diversions due to A142 bridge closure
- Credit: Lorna Dupre
Motorists in the Fens will face diversions to their usual journeys as a key road is closed for repairs.
The Mepal bridge on the A142 between Mepal and Chatteris will be closed for three weekends in February and March.
The closures have been planned after faults in the bridge joints are in need of repair.
These will take place from 8.30pm on Friday to 5am on Monday during the following dates:
- Friday, February 25 to Monday, February 28
- Friday, March 4 to Monday, March 7
- Friday, March 11 to Monday, March 14
- 1 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 2 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 3 Over 6,000 homes approved across Cambridgeshire this year
- 4 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had worsening dementia’
- 5 Over 480 arrests for drink driving across county, say police
- 6 Wisbech Swimming Club member gains place at British Swimming Championships final
- 7 Mayor's visit inspires Fenmen to cup thrashing
- 8 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 9 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
- 10 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had undiagnosed Alzheimer’s’
Motorists travelling towards Ely will be diverted via Chatteris, Huntingdon, Cambridge and Ely along the A142, A14 and A10.
Those local to the area may likely find shorter diversion routes.
Cllr Lorna Dupre, district councillor for Mepal, Sutton, Witcham and Wentworth said: “The installation of the bridge joints has never been trouble-free, with many nearby residents of Mepal affected by increased noise.
“Let us hope this work provides a more satisfactory outcome.”