Trade unionists plan ‘bridges not walls protest’ in Wisbech to coincide with inauguration of Donald Trump as USA president
- Credit: Archant
Fenland trade unionists are to unfurl protest banners at Freedom Bridge, Wisbech, to coincide with the inauguration 4,000 miles away of President elect Donald Trump.
Wisbech is joining the ‘bridges not walls protest’ at 12.30pm on Friday as the inauguration ceremony in America gets under way.
NE Cambs Labour Party chairman Sue Marshall said: “Local residents who prefer to see our country, and local communities, coming together to unite around shared values rather than promote division are welcome to join us at Freedom Bridge.”
Trades Council secretary Councillor Martin Field said “There are so many good reasons to protest at this moment that it’s impossible to fit them all on one banner, so we decided to just go with the simple message of ‘build bridges not walls’.
“This allows anyone interested in overcoming division and hatred in our society to be able to take part”.
You may also want to watch:
He said the banners being dropped from bridges across the UK would send “a simple, hopeful and unmistakable message of building bridges not walls to achieve a peaceful and just world rid of division and hatred.”
Cllr Field said that although taking place on President Trump’s inauguration day “the message is not directly aimed at him but all those politicians and leaders around the world, and especially here in the UK, who seek to gain support for their policies by seeding division and hatred”.
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 6 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 7 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 8 Mayor fumes over ‘amateur’ foster carers claim
- 9 A10 speed limit reduced at Waterbeach after death of baby Louis Thorold
- 10 Fens crime gang ‘boss’ jailed