Tories win all three seats in Wisbech by election on a day when only one in five bothered to vote
- Credit: Archant
Only one in five voters turned out for the Wisbech Waterlees by election yesterday that saw Conservatives win all three seats.
The election was called following the resignation of independent councillors Michael and Virginia Bucknor and UKIP councillor Alan Lay.
Newly elected Laura Cobb topped the poll with her colleagues Andrew Lynn and Andy Maul taking the remaining seats on the town council.
Their only challengers were a trio of Labour candidates in a poll where the official turn out was declared as being 17.24 per cent.
Winning candidate Andy Maul said he was “pleased all the hard work paid off” and paid tribute to a strong team of Conservative councillors and supporters who had helped with the campaign.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Maul is the owner of Bygones café in the town and hopes in the future to “return the Market Place to glory, investing and growing what it offers to everybody”.
Cllr Cobb, a teaching assistant at the Orchards School, told voters ahead of the poll she remains “keen to see more services for families and children, in particular the rebuilding and expansion of the skate park in the ward”.
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 3 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 4 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 5 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 6 Man who died in road crash is named
- 7 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 8 Entrepreneurs’ lockdown invention wins big at London competition
- 9 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 10 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
Wisbech mayor Steve Tierney tweeted after the result was announced at the Oasis Centre that it was “a massive victory for the Conservative team”. His party now holds all 18 seats on the town council.
•Broad, Amy (Lab) 255
•Cobb, Laura (Con) 425
•Dougall, Kathy (Lab) 252
•Lynn, Andrew (Con) 394
•Maul, Andy (Con) 381
•Reeves, Dean (Con) 226
Laura Cobb, Andrew Lynn and Andy Maul were duly elected for the Waterlees Village Ward of Wisbech Town Council