Tories win all three seats in Wisbech by election on a day when only one in five bothered to vote
- Credit: Archant
Only one in five voters turned out for the Wisbech Waterlees by election yesterday that saw Conservatives win all three seats.
The election was called following the resignation of independent councillors Michael and Virginia Bucknor and UKIP councillor Alan Lay.
Newly elected Laura Cobb topped the poll with her colleagues Andrew Lynn and Andy Maul taking the remaining seats on the town council.
Their only challengers were a trio of Labour candidates in a poll where the official turn out was declared as being 17.24 per cent.
Winning candidate Andy Maul said he was “pleased all the hard work paid off” and paid tribute to a strong team of Conservative councillors and supporters who had helped with the campaign.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Maul is the owner of Bygones café in the town and hopes in the future to “return the Market Place to glory, investing and growing what it offers to everybody”.
Cllr Cobb, a teaching assistant at the Orchards School, told voters ahead of the poll she remains “keen to see more services for families and children, in particular the rebuilding and expansion of the skate park in the ward”.
- 1 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 2 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 3 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 4 A47 to close overnight near Wisbech for roadworks
- 5 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 8 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 9 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
Wisbech mayor Steve Tierney tweeted after the result was announced at the Oasis Centre that it was “a massive victory for the Conservative team”. His party now holds all 18 seats on the town council.
•Broad, Amy (Lab) 255
•Cobb, Laura (Con) 425
•Dougall, Kathy (Lab) 252
•Lynn, Andrew (Con) 394
•Maul, Andy (Con) 381
•Reeves, Dean (Con) 226
Laura Cobb, Andrew Lynn and Andy Maul were duly elected for the Waterlees Village Ward of Wisbech Town Council