Tories win all three seats in Wisbech by election on a day when only one in five bothered to vote
- Credit: Archant
Only one in five voters turned out for the Wisbech Waterlees by election yesterday that saw Conservatives win all three seats.
The election was called following the resignation of independent councillors Michael and Virginia Bucknor and UKIP councillor Alan Lay.
Newly elected Laura Cobb topped the poll with her colleagues Andrew Lynn and Andy Maul taking the remaining seats on the town council.
Their only challengers were a trio of Labour candidates in a poll where the official turn out was declared as being 17.24 per cent.
Winning candidate Andy Maul said he was “pleased all the hard work paid off” and paid tribute to a strong team of Conservative councillors and supporters who had helped with the campaign.
Cllr Maul is the owner of Bygones café in the town and hopes in the future to “return the Market Place to glory, investing and growing what it offers to everybody”.
Cllr Cobb, a teaching assistant at the Orchards School, told voters ahead of the poll she remains “keen to see more services for families and children, in particular the rebuilding and expansion of the skate park in the ward”.
- 1 Man alleged to have kidnapped child sparks heavy police presence
- 2 Chip shop’s new platter dish ‘The Great Gordon’ tribute to late founder
- 3 Fraudster rented out homes for cannabis factories worth over £300k
- 4 Paddleboarder dies after getting into difficulty on river
- 5 Man, 37, named as A14 death crash victim
- 6 Man suspected of touching child outside supermarket
- 7 Two vehicles in ditches after crash on A141 between March and Guyhirn
- 8 Wisbech based Alan Hudson centre receives third outstanding award
- 9 Man who glassed another man in the head after a fight jailed
- 10 Cops catch out suspected drug driver who faked identity
Wisbech mayor Steve Tierney tweeted after the result was announced at the Oasis Centre that it was “a massive victory for the Conservative team”. His party now holds all 18 seats on the town council.
•Broad, Amy (Lab) 255
•Cobb, Laura (Con) 425
•Dougall, Kathy (Lab) 252
•Lynn, Andrew (Con) 394
•Maul, Andy (Con) 381
•Reeves, Dean (Con) 226
Laura Cobb, Andrew Lynn and Andy Maul were duly elected for the Waterlees Village Ward of Wisbech Town Council