Tierney says Wisbech citizens patrol almost ready to launch - just waiting for final police approval and insurance to be finalised
- Credit: Archant
With a growing number of ‘likes’ for his Facebook group – it now has 105- Wisbech councillor Steve Tierney is confident his citizens patrol plan can soon be up and running.
“With most everything now in place we will be beginning citizens’ patrols shortly,” he said.
“We would still welcome additional volunteers, so if you’d like to join us please get in touch.”
Last week he revealed that he would have liked to have begun the first patrol earlier but was waiting on police to agree the draft constitution of the group and for insurance to be finalised.
“Given that there are a few people out there determined to oppose citizens’ patrols, broadly without really even understanding what it is, we cannot start patrolling without having everything in order,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“So, much though it galls me, we will have to wait another week before our first patrol.”
The citizens patrol will be out and about periodically and Cllr Tierney says “no special skills are needed other than the capacity to behave like a ‘good citizen’ in a non-confrontational manner.
- 1 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 2 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 Man charged with drink driving, possession of a knife and cannabis
- 6 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 7 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 8 Suspected hare coursers get 4x4 stuck after crashing nose first in ditch
- 9 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 10 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
“Walking/patrolling in small groups, it’s a good way of doing your bit and meeting new people.
“In terms of time commitment, the minimum requirement is about 2 hours/1 patrol per month but you can do more if you want.”
Anyone interested can contact him via Facebook.