Tierney says Wisbech citizens patrol almost ready to launch - just waiting for final police approval and insurance to be finalised
- Credit: Archant
With a growing number of ‘likes’ for his Facebook group – it now has 105- Wisbech councillor Steve Tierney is confident his citizens patrol plan can soon be up and running.
“With most everything now in place we will be beginning citizens’ patrols shortly,” he said.
“We would still welcome additional volunteers, so if you’d like to join us please get in touch.”
Last week he revealed that he would have liked to have begun the first patrol earlier but was waiting on police to agree the draft constitution of the group and for insurance to be finalised.
“Given that there are a few people out there determined to oppose citizens’ patrols, broadly without really even understanding what it is, we cannot start patrolling without having everything in order,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“So, much though it galls me, we will have to wait another week before our first patrol.”
The citizens patrol will be out and about periodically and Cllr Tierney says “no special skills are needed other than the capacity to behave like a ‘good citizen’ in a non-confrontational manner.
- 1 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 2 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 3 Cafe boss throws hat in the ring for county election
- 4 Shotgun, fake cash and cannabis found at suspected dealer’s home
- 5 Five year mystery of what happened to modern day slavery victim
- 6 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 7 Urgent repairs at Wisbech Museum due to start
- 8 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 9 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 10 Civic business as usual for under fire Wisbech mayor
“Walking/patrolling in small groups, it’s a good way of doing your bit and meeting new people.
“In terms of time commitment, the minimum requirement is about 2 hours/1 patrol per month but you can do more if you want.”
Anyone interested can contact him via Facebook.