Three fires in Wisbech in 14 hours prompts expert to issue warning
- Credit: Archant
Crews tackled three fires in Wisbech, including an arson, in the space of 14 hours.
At 6.32pm on Sunday, a crew from Wisbech was called to a building fire in Market Place.
A fire had broken out involving the door frame of a shop and firefighters extinguished it using a hose reel. The fascia was also dampened down. The cause of the fire was accidental, by smoking materials.
A CFRS spokesman said: “If you are a smoker, please make sure you put out cigarettes and other smoking materials responsibly and that they are properly extinguished before you discard them.”
At 11.37pm on Sunday, sheds and two fences were set on fire in Sybil Road.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information should contact the police on 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
At 8.21am yesterday, two crews from Wisbech were called to a building fire in Europa Way, Wisbech.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 3 Burger entrepreneur excited to reopen as lockdown eases on May 17
- 4 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 5 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 6 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 7 Drink-driver blows over four times legal limit after ‘booze and cruise’
- 8 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 9 Lions commend cinema manager for lockdown volunteering
- 10 ‘This is not a puppy farm’ says breeder in response to planning objections
A corner of a portable building was well alight and two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire by 8.50am. Positive pressure ventilation fans were also used. The cause of the fire was accidental.
Watch Commander Phil Pilbeam said: “A fire was started by workers in a brazier that was unfortunately located too closely to combustible materials against the portable building.
“The fire spread and the building quickly became involved.
“It is important to remember that if you are lighting any type of open fire to do so well away from property or other combustible materials like fencing and vegetation.”