Driver smashes BMW into parked cars before climbing out ‘holding a bottle of beer’ and fleeing the scene
- Credit: Supplied
A Wisbech man whose car was written off when a BMW crashed into his and another neighbour’s car says the driver crawled out clutching a beer bottle.
"The driver had to get out of the passenger's side door because it was crushed up against our neighbour's car," said the resident.
"He got out and I said 'where are you going' before he ran away."
The driver smashed his BMW 1 Series into two parked cars on Ramnoth Road in Wisbech on Sunday night (November 3) before fleeing the scene.
The resident whose car was written off says the suspect's car was full of beer bottles, laughing gas canisters and class B drugs.
You may also want to watch:
"Inside the car we could see drinks bottles, a bit of weed and small silver laughing gas canisters; they are now all with the forensics," he said.
Speaking of the moments before the crash, the resident added: "My wife and I were sitting watching TV when we heard a tremendous bang.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
"We headed outside to find a BMW in the middle of the road. The car was facing in the wrong direction and when the driver got out he was holding a bottle of beer in his hand.
"My wife came out first and noticed our neighbour's car, and then she looked at me and said 'oh my God, look at your car'.
"One of the police officers told me that the driver was spotted earlier drinking at a local pub before the crash."
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Police said: "We were called at 10.29pm to reports of a collision on Ramnoth Road, Wisbech.
"The collision involved a car - a silver BMW - which had hit two other parked cars.
"The driver of the car fled the scene on foot after assaulting a man at the Three Tuns pub on Norwich Road, Wisbech.
"The man is also believed to have threatened and caused distress to members of the public who tried to intervene or stop him leaving the area.
"Officers attended the scene, spoke to witnesses and an investigation is ongoing."
Anyone with any information regarding the incident is urged to call police on 101 quoting incident number 517 of November 3.