Thomas Clarkson Academy staff to take part in mammoth hiking challenge for Age UK
- Credit: Archant
A team of seven staff from Thomas Clarkson Academy will trek the length of Hadrian’s Wall as part of a charity fundraiser this summer.
The six-day challenge is part of the diamond anniversary celebrations for the Duke of Edinburgh’s Awards (DofE) scheme.
Throughout the year, the team, led by TCA’s DofE coordinator Lucy-Beth Heighton have been accompanying students on their bronze and silver DofE expeditions.
They set off on Saturday July 23 and will be walking approximately 15-18 miles a day across varying terrain while carrying a 65litre backpack. They are doing the challenge to raise funds for Age UK.
Miss Heighton said: “This is quite a daunting task for the team. 86 miles from east to west is hard enough without carrying all the equipment to be self-sufficient for a week.
“But Age UK is a charity close to my family’s heart, following the loss of my father last August.
“The charity do immeasurable work providing care, companionship and advice to our elderly community and we are glad to be able to support them in this way.”
- 1 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 2 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
- 3 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 4 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 5 Farm shop's green light for outdoor seating and play area
- 6 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 7 Partygoer who claimed ADHD caused him to kill jailed for life
- 8 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 9 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 10 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
The team includes Nigel Glover, David Bliss, Dan Hudson, Alex Malcolmson, Jeff Wilson and Alistair Woodruff.
Hadrian’s Wall was built in 122AD. It is the most popular tourist attraction in Northern England and a designated world heritage site.
To sponsor the team visit https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/LB-Heighton