Thomas Clarkson Academy staff to take part in mammoth hiking challenge for Age UK
- Credit: Archant
A team of seven staff from Thomas Clarkson Academy will trek the length of Hadrian’s Wall as part of a charity fundraiser this summer.
The six-day challenge is part of the diamond anniversary celebrations for the Duke of Edinburgh’s Awards (DofE) scheme.
Throughout the year, the team, led by TCA’s DofE coordinator Lucy-Beth Heighton have been accompanying students on their bronze and silver DofE expeditions.
They set off on Saturday July 23 and will be walking approximately 15-18 miles a day across varying terrain while carrying a 65litre backpack. They are doing the challenge to raise funds for Age UK.
Miss Heighton said: “This is quite a daunting task for the team. 86 miles from east to west is hard enough without carrying all the equipment to be self-sufficient for a week.
You may also want to watch:
“But Age UK is a charity close to my family’s heart, following the loss of my father last August.
“The charity do immeasurable work providing care, companionship and advice to our elderly community and we are glad to be able to support them in this way.”
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 4 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 7 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 8 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 9 Ambulance charity first in East to transfer Covid-19 patients by air
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
The team includes Nigel Glover, David Bliss, Dan Hudson, Alex Malcolmson, Jeff Wilson and Alistair Woodruff.
Hadrian’s Wall was built in 122AD. It is the most popular tourist attraction in Northern England and a designated world heritage site.
To sponsor the team visit https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/LB-Heighton