Thomas Clarkson Academy staff to take part in mammoth hiking challenge for Age UK
- Credit: Archant
A team of seven staff from Thomas Clarkson Academy will trek the length of Hadrian’s Wall as part of a charity fundraiser this summer.
The six-day challenge is part of the diamond anniversary celebrations for the Duke of Edinburgh’s Awards (DofE) scheme.
Throughout the year, the team, led by TCA’s DofE coordinator Lucy-Beth Heighton have been accompanying students on their bronze and silver DofE expeditions.
They set off on Saturday July 23 and will be walking approximately 15-18 miles a day across varying terrain while carrying a 65litre backpack. They are doing the challenge to raise funds for Age UK.
Miss Heighton said: “This is quite a daunting task for the team. 86 miles from east to west is hard enough without carrying all the equipment to be self-sufficient for a week.
You may also want to watch:
“But Age UK is a charity close to my family’s heart, following the loss of my father last August.
“The charity do immeasurable work providing care, companionship and advice to our elderly community and we are glad to be able to support them in this way.”
- 1 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 2 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 3 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 4 Shotgun, fake cash and cannabis found at suspected dealer’s home
- 5 Cafe boss throws hat in the ring for county election
- 6 Five year mystery of what happened to modern day slavery victim
- 7 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 8 Hughes Electrical re-open Monday at Wisbech and Ely
- 9 Urgent repairs at Wisbech Museum due to start
- 10 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
The team includes Nigel Glover, David Bliss, Dan Hudson, Alex Malcolmson, Jeff Wilson and Alistair Woodruff.
Hadrian’s Wall was built in 122AD. It is the most popular tourist attraction in Northern England and a designated world heritage site.
To sponsor the team visit https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/LB-Heighton