Thirty firefighters tackle blaze in Fenland village barn caused by stray spark

PUBLISHED: 11:26 08 September 2009 | UPDATED: 09:14 02 June 2010

THIRTY firefighters tackled a blaze at a barn in a Fenland village, caused by a stray spark which ignited the hay inside. Crews from Wisbech, March, Whittlesey and Thorney were at one point all at the scene of the fire in Black Lane, Gorefield. yesterday

THIRTY firefighters tackled a blaze at a barn in a Fenland village, caused by a stray spark which ignited the hay inside.

Crews from Wisbech, March, Whittlesey and Thorney were at one point all at the scene of the fire in Black Lane, Gorefield.

yesterday morning's fire happened in a complex that included a hay barn, a tack room and stables measuring about 15 square metres.

Firefighters managed to contain the fire to the hay barn and stopped it spreading to the stables. All animals kept in the stables were out before firefighters arrived.

A neighbour also used a tractor to help remove the hay and straw from the barn to a safe area.

Steve Robinson, incident commander, said: "All the hay and straw was removed from the barn and put into the middle of a horse riding area where it was safe and away from any buildings."

After tackling the blaze, two of the six crews remained at the scene while the hay and straw burned itself out.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Wisbech Standard