Team of Wisbech Town legends to play fans as part of Fenmen family fun day
A MATCH between a team of Wisbech Town legends and the club’s supporters is set to be the highlight of a family fun day at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium on Sunday.
The main footballing attraction of the event at the Lynn Road ground will see Fenmen legends, including Mel Mattless, Jerry Lowrey and idolised striker Jackie Gallagher, dusting off their boots to help raise money for forces’ charity Help for Heroes.
Steve Appleby, current Wisbech Town manager, his assistant Chris Dear and reserve team boss Darren Edey are also set to take to the field to compete for the Goalbound Cup.
The trophy is played in memory of supporter Denis Harris who used to write comprehensive match reports on the club’s online forum under the username ‘Goalbound’. The match kicks-off at 2pm.
However, the football is just a small part of an action-packed day which will run from 11am-11pm and will be officially opened by the Mayor of Wisbech Jonathan Farmer at noon.
You may also want to watch:
Entry is free for the event and a bouncy castle, bungee run, face painting, tombola, plus a visit from TV characters Peppa Pig, Ben 10 and Hello Kitty, are all set to offer hours of fun for people of all ages.
Petworld Wisbech will bring animal exhibits along to the fun day and there will be a live performance from King’s Lynn rapper Winkzy.
- 1 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 2 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 3 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 4 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 5 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 8 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 9 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 10 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
He will be joined by Gary Connor, bassist and founder member of The Brink, and James Lee Campbell, lecturer and course director of performing arts at the College of West Anglia in judging a talent competition.
For more information - or to enter the talent competition - contact Wisbech Town’s events organiser John Keith on 01945 461354 by Saturday lunchtime.