Tea party and self-portraits at Wisbech school celebrate platinum wedding anniversary of the Queen and Prince Philip
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of children and staff at Nene and Ramnoth Junior School in Wisbech enjoyed a right royal day celebrating the platinum wedding anniversary of the Queen and Prince Philip.
On Monday nearly 600 children and staff celebrated the occasion by dressing up in their finery as if they were going to meet the royal family.
The children learned about the royal wedding and enjoyed a tea party and party games. The school council came up with the idea during a meeting.
Executive principal Karen Crawley said: “It was a lovely opportunity for the school community to come together and celebrate this significant occasion in our history.
“It was a really worthwhile and enjoyable day with the children working and celebrating together.”
You may also want to watch:
All of the children contributed a self-portrait which was sent to Buckingham Palace inside a celebratory card.
The Queen and Prince Philip first met in 1934 at the wedding of Philip’s cousin, Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark, and continued to meet on several further occasions.
- 1 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 2 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 3 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Stronger bonds can be key to success, believes Fenmen boss
- 5 Octavia Hill’s Birthplace House gets share of £1.57billion fund
- 6 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 7 Ladies mark return from lockdown with eight-goal thriller
- 8 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 9 ‘Numerous’ number plate thefts reported to police across region
- 10 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
Following a specific meeting at the Royal Naval College in Dartmouth in July 1939, the pair, began to exchange letters.
Elizabeth was 13 at the time. When she turned 21, they announced their engagement on July 9 1947.