Sweetcorn lovers battle it out to claim annual cash prize
- Credit: Skylark
Sweetcorn lovers took to Skylark Garden Centre at the weekend to see who would be crowned this year’s winners.
Over 20 people took part in the annual Fenland Sweetcorn Eating Competition at the garden centre in Wimblington on Sunday, September 12.
Visitors from across the Fens stood by to see who would prevail in the adult and children’s events, where competitors had five minutes to eat as many cobs as possible to win a £100 cash prize.
Andy Kulina, of Melbourn near Cambridge, won the adult event after eating four cobs in three minutes, while Lily Szopa triumphed in the children’s final.
Bart Woodbine, of Skylark Garden Centre, said: “Andy, originally from the USA, donated his winnings to research towards Phelan-McDermid Syndrome his daughter has.
You may also want to watch:
“Lily from Wisbech chomped her way through three cobs in three minutes.
“We have over 20 competitors who were cheered on by hundreds of visitors to the maize maze and funyard.”
- 1 Community group to review case of missing Terry McSpadden
- 2 'No excuse' not to publish costs says funeral director
- 3 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 4 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 5 ‘Literally brilliant’ says author during school visit
- 6 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 7 Body found in Wisbech road
- 8 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 9 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 10 MP the “most handsome and kindest member of the government’