Man from Wisbech arrested in connection with suspected keyless theft of luxury Mercedes-Benz E-Class car
- Credit: Archant
A Fenland man has been arrested in connection with the suspected keyless theft of a luxury Mercedes-Benz E-Class car.
The 37-year-old man from Wisbech, who has not yet been named, was arrested following a search warrant at an industrial garage in the town on Wednesday, March 3.
The suspected stolen E-Class car was found and recovered by officers. It is thought the car was taken using illegal keyless technology which extends the range of the car’s key.
Sergeant Chris Acourt said: “This is another positive step in the fight against car thefts. The introduction of keyless technology has created a new window for criminals to utilise.
“By conducting this warrant we have not only recovered a stolen vehicle but potentially cut out a source for future thefts.”
You may also want to watch:
The man was arrested on suspicion of attempted theft of a motor vehicle and has since been released under investigation.
Auto Express says a device which contains signal-blocking materials can be bought to stop your key transmitting its code, preventing anyone from detecting and amplifying the signal.
- 1 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 2 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 3 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 6 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 7 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
- 8 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 9 We want to end the season now, states Fenmen chairman
- 10 Man who headbutted and spat at HMRC officers told to expect jail