Students Receive Learn Direct Awards
EIGHTY seven students – including an 84 year old widow- were among those to gain certificates and awards from a Wisbech training centre. Learn Direct helps those looking to improve skills ranging from numeracy and literacy to IT and on Monday many of thos
EIGHTY seven students - including an 84 year old widow- were among those to gain certificates and awards from a Wisbech training centre.
Learn Direct helps those looking to improve skills ranging from numeracy and literacy to IT and on Monday many of those successful in completing courses received their awards.
The presentation ceremony was held at the Learn Direct offices in Church Mews, and 30 of the students turned up personally to receive their award during a special ceremony.
The awards were presented by John Elworthy, news editor of the Wisbech Standard, who congratulated those present on their success.
You may also want to watch:
"I know for many of you these awards represent a personal challenge and you should be very proud of your accomplishments," he said.
"The skills and qualifications available to you through Learn Direct can put you on the road to perhaps gaining a job for the first time, gaining a better job or simply plugging gaps in your education. Whatever your reason for taking part, your success is reason to celebrate."
- 1 Three stores evacuated after suspect 'bomb scare'
- 2 Body found in Wisbech road
- 3 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 4 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 5 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 6 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 7 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 8 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 9 Victim of ‘joke’ that backfired left paralysed
- 10 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
Oldest recipient of an award was Olive Saddington, an 84 year old widow who said she enrolled for an IT course after her husband died and her grandson encouraged her to buy a computer and use emails.
"The experience has helped considerably to offset the loneliness created by the death of my husband and it helps to fill the hours with a creative interest," she said.
The centre now trains hundreds of people each year and on February 9 will be holding a skills and qualifications open day at their Wisbech office.
Contact: Learn Direct, tel 01945 589417, for details.
# The 30 students who collected their awards on Monday were;