Students Receive Learn Direct Awards
EIGHTY seven students – including an 84 year old widow- were among those to gain certificates and awards from a Wisbech training centre. Learn Direct helps those looking to improve skills ranging from numeracy and literacy to IT and on Monday many of thos
EIGHTY seven students - including an 84 year old widow- were among those to gain certificates and awards from a Wisbech training centre.
Learn Direct helps those looking to improve skills ranging from numeracy and literacy to IT and on Monday many of those successful in completing courses received their awards.
The presentation ceremony was held at the Learn Direct offices in Church Mews, and 30 of the students turned up personally to receive their award during a special ceremony.
The awards were presented by John Elworthy, news editor of the Wisbech Standard, who congratulated those present on their success.
You may also want to watch:
"I know for many of you these awards represent a personal challenge and you should be very proud of your accomplishments," he said.
"The skills and qualifications available to you through Learn Direct can put you on the road to perhaps gaining a job for the first time, gaining a better job or simply plugging gaps in your education. Whatever your reason for taking part, your success is reason to celebrate."
- 1 Fenland Council loses fight to stop incinerator survey
- 2 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 3 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned
- 4 Tributes paid to 'much loved' Gabija killed in A605 crash
- 5 Man in court after more than £656k of cannabis seized
- 6 Fire crews free driver trapped in overturned lorry
- 7 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 8 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
- 9 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 10 'Sports cages' designed by Cambs company are helping children stay active
Oldest recipient of an award was Olive Saddington, an 84 year old widow who said she enrolled for an IT course after her husband died and her grandson encouraged her to buy a computer and use emails.
"The experience has helped considerably to offset the loneliness created by the death of my husband and it helps to fill the hours with a creative interest," she said.
The centre now trains hundreds of people each year and on February 9 will be holding a skills and qualifications open day at their Wisbech office.
Contact: Learn Direct, tel 01945 589417, for details.
# The 30 students who collected their awards on Monday were;