Steve Barclay hosts election victory part in Wisbech with guest of honour Jacob Rees-Mogg
- Credit: PA
Newly appointed Chief Secretary to the Treasury and NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay picked tonight, coincidentally, to host a celebration party for his key constituency workers following the General Election.
And with him - by popular demand from those party workers - will be his Government colleague and Leader of the House of Commons Jacob Rees-Mogg.
The party, described by Tory workers as 'low key', will be held at the Angles Theatre.
Mr Rees-Mogg was invited following a mini survey by Mr Barclay of those who helped him secure a near 30,000 majority.
Asked who'd they most like to meet, Rees-Mogg triumphed.
You may also want to watch:
By a second coincidence Mr Barclay walked with Mr Rees-Mogg into Downing Street today as prime minister Boris Johnson worked through a reshuffle.
Although Mr Barclay now occupies the third most senior ministerial post in the Treasury, he will not be a Cabinet member although he will attend Cabinet meetings. As Brexit Secretary he was, of course, a full member of Cabinet.
- 1 Police share images of Wisbech cannabis factory
- 2 'Numerous cars' in roundabout crash
- 3 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 4 Tributes paid to 'much loved' Gabija killed in A605 crash
- 5 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 6 Fenland Council loses fight to stop incinerator survey
- 7 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 8 Recycling firm goes bust ahead of £55,000 court fines and costs
- 9 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault
- 10 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
Among his many duties in his new role will be scrutinising expenditure across all Government departments including public sector pay and pensions.
He will also be closely involved in monitoring the costs of HS2 and the Oxford/Cambridge infrastructure improvements.