St Peter’s Church in Wisbech offering hot drinks, soup, snacks and warmth to homeless as temperatures plummet
- Credit: Archant
Biting back against the Beast from the East’s bitter cold, churchwardens in Wisbech have opened their doors to provide food and warmth to the homeless.
Wardens and ladies at St Peter’s Church in Wisbech are providing hot drinks, soup and snacks to those who would otherwise have no option but to stay outdoors in the freezing temperatures.
Church warden Trevor Wright and a team of ladies are working hard to ensure that hot drinks and soup are always available to those in need of them during the day.
A spokesman for the church said: “People need respite from the cold and their problems. The church is providing a degree of respite care, where people can sit in the warmth and enjoy a hot drink and a snack.
“Perhaps this is St Peter’s response to the Beast from the East, but the church wardens and ladies saw a need for people to have somewhere warm to come to when the night shelters shut during the daytime.”
Diane Smith, who regularly visits the church said: “The church wardens are keeping it really nice and warm and there were even cakes when I walked in today.
“It’s been open to the homeless ever since this cold snap started, I believe.
- 1 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 2 Princess Eugenie on mission to stop modern slavery
- 3 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 4 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 5 Yellows keep up league form while reds stumble for Wisbech
- 6 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 7 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 8 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 9 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 10 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
“There were quite a lot of people in there using it, too, and it’ll be going on for as long as it’s needed.”
“It’s nice to report something good for a change.