St John Ambulance puts Elgood Hall in Wisbech up for sale
- Credit: Archant
Elgood Hall, which was home of the St John Ambulance in Wisbech up until two years ago, is up for sale.
Two years ago, due to falling numbers of volunteers, the town’s first aid unit was closed, with the remaining volunteers seconded to the Whittlesey unit. Since then, the hall has been used by community groups.
A spokesman for St John Ambulance says selling the building was the way “to make best use of our resources”.
Mick Coley, East of England facilities manager for St John Ambulance, said: “While we are sad to have to put Elgood Hall on the market, in the current climate we need to make best use of our resources.
“Unfortunately the Wisbech unit, which was once a thriving group of adult first aiders and younger volunteers, suffered from a downturn in numbers until it had to close a couple of years ago.
You may also want to watch:
“Since then the hall has been used by other local groups for their own activities and we would like to acknowledge the support they have given us since we redeveloped the building in the 1990s.
“By putting the hall on the market we may of course attract a buyer who will allow the hall to stay open to these groups.
- 1 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 2 A47 to close overnight near Wisbech for roadworks
- 3 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 4 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 5 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 6 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 7 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 8 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 9 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
“If this happens, it may also generate the opportunity for a new St John Ambulance unit to be developed in the future who could return to the hall on a rental contract, although for this to come about we will need to see a surge in local interest for volunteering with us.”
The building was donated to St John Ambulance by Stewart Elgood, of the Elgood family.
Mr Coley said: “We must of course pay tribute to the generosity of the Elgood family. Stewart Elgood’s wish was for the property to be donated to St John Ambulance and used by us and the wider community.
“His son, Nigel Elgood, has been a key member of the property committee which has overseen the running of the hall. We believe we have certainly respected the wishes of the Elgoods and have made use of the property as they desired. It would be wonderful to see the family’s wishes continue to be honoured by the future owners.”
For more information about St John Ambulance or about first aid training, go to www.sja.org.uk or call 08700 104950.