St John Ambulance puts Elgood Hall in Wisbech up for sale
- Credit: Archant
Elgood Hall, which was home of the St John Ambulance in Wisbech up until two years ago, is up for sale.
Two years ago, due to falling numbers of volunteers, the town’s first aid unit was closed, with the remaining volunteers seconded to the Whittlesey unit. Since then, the hall has been used by community groups.
A spokesman for St John Ambulance says selling the building was the way “to make best use of our resources”.
Mick Coley, East of England facilities manager for St John Ambulance, said: “While we are sad to have to put Elgood Hall on the market, in the current climate we need to make best use of our resources.
“Unfortunately the Wisbech unit, which was once a thriving group of adult first aiders and younger volunteers, suffered from a downturn in numbers until it had to close a couple of years ago.
You may also want to watch:
“Since then the hall has been used by other local groups for their own activities and we would like to acknowledge the support they have given us since we redeveloped the building in the 1990s.
“By putting the hall on the market we may of course attract a buyer who will allow the hall to stay open to these groups.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 'Chopper was a hard worker and put himself about' - tribute to ex-Fenmen star
- 4 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 5 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 6 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 7 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 8 Fit of the Fens challenge to raise cash for the homeless
- 9 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 10 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
“If this happens, it may also generate the opportunity for a new St John Ambulance unit to be developed in the future who could return to the hall on a rental contract, although for this to come about we will need to see a surge in local interest for volunteering with us.”
The building was donated to St John Ambulance by Stewart Elgood, of the Elgood family.
Mr Coley said: “We must of course pay tribute to the generosity of the Elgood family. Stewart Elgood’s wish was for the property to be donated to St John Ambulance and used by us and the wider community.
“His son, Nigel Elgood, has been a key member of the property committee which has overseen the running of the hall. We believe we have certainly respected the wishes of the Elgoods and have made use of the property as they desired. It would be wonderful to see the family’s wishes continue to be honoured by the future owners.”
For more information about St John Ambulance or about first aid training, go to www.sja.org.uk or call 08700 104950.