Springing into action
SIGNS that spring is fast approaching are rife in a Wisbech cemetery packed with colour and bird song. Clumps of snowdrops and aconites are in full bloom in the Leverington Road Cemetery, with a profusion of primroses, daffodils and bluebells still to fol
SIGNS that spring is fast approaching are rife in a Wisbech cemetery packed with colour and bird song.
Clumps of snowdrops and aconites are in full bloom in the Leverington Road Cemetery, with a profusion of primroses, daffodils and bluebells still to follow.
The three-acre woodland is owned by Fenland District Council and managed by the Friends of Leverington Road Cemetery, which encourages wildlife and keeps a record of the town's history and heritage.
The cemetery is open at all times and can be accessed either from Leverington Road or via the entrance along the cycle path at the back of the Harecroft Road playing fields.
You may also want to watch:
Repairs are also being carried out on the chapel by Fenland District Council to make the building safe, with grants being sought to restore some of the monuments.
Volunteers have been busy cutting back brambles, maintaining paths and removing ivy from some of the gravestones.
- 1 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 2 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 3 Cannabis worth over £656,000 uncovered in Fen village
- 4 'Gone but never forgotten' - tributes left by lake where man drowned
- 5 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 6 A141 closed at roundabout after lorry overturns
- 7 Floral tributes laid for man killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 8 Mum shares her experience in call for IVF to be reinstated
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn to speak at King's Lynn hospital rally
- 10 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
The Friends welcome new members and volunteers to help with conservation work and researching family histories.
For further information contact Wisbech Tourist Information Centre on 01945 583263.