Cash, bank cards and jewellery amongst items stolen in 14 Wisbech burglaries – police have warned locals to ‘take precautions’
- Credit: Cambs Cops / TWITTER
Police are urging residents to “take precautions” after 14 homes were burgled in just two months in Wisbech.
Cambridgeshire Police have issued a checklist to residents to help them ensure their home and belongings are safe and secure.
Detective Sergeant Shishminder Thind said: "Burglary is a priority for the force and we are using all tactics available to us to catch those responsible for these offences.
"In some instances offenders have forced entry but we have also seen a number of offences where entry has been made through unlocked patio doors and windows.
"I urge all residents to take precautions where they can and check their home security, especially when out of the house."
You may also want to watch:
Residents are urged to always keep doors and windows closed and locked, or in a ventilated but locked position, even when they are inside the house.
Always check and lock doors with a key - never assume that just pushing up an internal handle will lock the door.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 3 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 4 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 5 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 6 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 7 Bungling burglar confronted wearing stolen clothes
- 8 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 9 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 10 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
Remove keys from window and door locks, but keep them in a familiar and safe place where all members of the family know where to find them in the event of an emergency.
Never leave items such as keys, bags, presents and money on show through a window.
Consider the position of key racks or shelves next to a door and ensure that they cannot be reached through the letter box.
Use timer switches to turn on lights and radios when you are going to be away from your house at dusk.
Consider the use of lights at the front and rear of your property that are activated when someone approaches.
Consider the use of bolts and padlocks on side gates. Place the bolts at the top, middle and bottom of the gate, as just a top bolt might be easy to reach and open.
A visible intruder alarm box can prove to be one of the biggest deterrents to an opportunist burglar, so consider installing a DIY or supplier installed system.
If anyone has any information on any of the burglaries you should contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.