Shoeboxes packed at Friday House for March soldier and his colleagues in Afghanistan
SHOEBOXES packed with food have been shipped out to a Fenland soldier and his colleagues who are spending Christmas in Afghanistan. Staff and users of Friday House care home, in Friday Bridge, sent 12 shoeboxes filled with treats to Helmand Province for P
SHOEBOXES packed with food have been shipped out to a Fenland soldier and his colleagues who are spending Christmas in Afghanistan.
Staff and users of Friday House care home, in Friday Bridge, sent 12 shoeboxes filled with treats to Helmand Province for Private Shane Bilney-Knight from March.
Pte Bilney-Knight, 22, of 1st Battalion the Royal Anglian Regiment, joined staff and users at the home during his recent rest and relaxation break to pack the boxes to take out for fellow troops.
His mum Sharon, a senior support worker at Friday House, said: "When I first worked here five years ago Shane visited a lot and got to know the service users and staff.
You may also want to watch:
"Penny (Clare, manager of Friday House), wanted to do something personally for Shane's group because of that."
The team packed about 12 shoeboxes with food, bought from weekly shops, to send away in time for Christmas.
- 1 Hooded man exposes himself to two women
- 2 Pub car park approved despite 13 residents' noise concerns
- 3 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 4 Homes evacuated as FOUR gas leaks disrupt March
- 5 Pub demolition decision deferred
- 6 Club shuts its doors after illegal encampment spotted
- 7 Charity wins national award for its outstanding service
- 8 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 9 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 10 Veterans back for first time since lockdown began
Pte Bilney-Knight, a former student of Neale-Wade Community College, went to Afghanistan for the first time in October and is expected to end his tour of duty in the spring.
His box, packed by his mum, featured a number of Christmas goodies including presents, lights and a hat.