Self defence classes for women likely to be stepped up in Wisbech following rape at the Spinney
- Credit: Archant
Self defence classes for women could be stepped up in Wisbech following a rape in The Spinney.
Anita Grodkiewicz who runs the Rosmini Centre said a four week “basic self defence” course for women had just finished but another was due to start in the next few weeks.
She also said she would consider helping the Oasis Centre in Waterlees run self defence courses for women if there was support for them. The Oasis is near to where the rape took place.
“Courses are free,” she said. “I hadn’t thought about putting one on at the oasis centre but if we had enough people interested there is no reason why not.”
Social media today has been sharing other classes for women including Tae Kwon-Do on Mondays at the Queen Mary Centre and kick boxing on Tuesday nights at the Thomas Clarkson Academy.
You may also want to watch:
The Oasis Centre posted to Facebook that they were “now looking into getting something organised (self defence/keeping safe session) for you all, due to all your comments and interest.”
One woman wrote: “I think it would be great to get to use the community centre when the community is in need.”
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 3 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 4 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 5 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 6 Mayor fumes over ‘amateur’ foster carers claim
- 7 Tesco staff self-isolate after being ‘pinged’ by track and trace
- 8 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 10 Firefighters left tackling 'deliberate' car blaze for over an hour
An instructor wrote: “If you are unfortunate enough to be attacked, it will most likely be by surprise. I’ve been teaching martial arts and self defence over 10 years; self defence can be very effective.”