'See you in court' threat to Constantine House, Wisbech, owners after they snub Fenland Council's deadline for repairs

PUBLISHED: 15:31 30 October 2015 | UPDATED: 15:31 30 October 2015

The fire was severely damaged by fire in March 2010.

The fire was severely damaged by fire in March 2010.

Archant

A bid to get Constantine House, Wisbech repaired - which was largely destroyed by fire more than five years ago- could now end up in court.

The fire was severely damaged by fire in March 2010.The fire was severely damaged by fire in March 2010.

Solicitors are considering whether they have sufficient grounds to prosecute the owners after a deadline for repairs came and went.

Fenland Council has sent the case to its legal team “to review with a view to prosecution” after discovering no further work to repair the building had been undertaken since August.

“The owners of Constantine House in Wisbech have not complied with the Section 215 Notice requiring them to complete the necessary works by Monday, October 26, 2015,” a spokesman said today.

“And they did not exercise their right to appeal the notice”

Constantine House in Wisbech that is finally getting work done after it being derelict since 2010Constantine House in Wisbech that is finally getting work done after it being derelict since 2010

The council said an enforcement officer inspected the site on Monday.

The spokesman said “He reported that no further work had been done there since August. Consequently, the matter is now with our legal team to review, with a view to prosecution.”

A Section 215 notice financially compels the owners of these building to undertake the necessary restoration and this prompted work to begin.

Constantine House, in Nene Quay, which was formerly known as The Belfast building, was seriously damaged by fire in March, 2010. Earlier this year some work began on the 19th century building but for some reason work suddenly stopped.

Deadline for completion of the work on Constantine House, set out in a Section 215 order, was originally March, but the owner was granted an extension and it should have been completed by the end of June.

Work halted on the site before Easter and the workers have not been on the site for at least three months.

In August the council explained how they had worked “closely” with Constantine House owners to “realise a high quality redevelopment securing visual improvement to Wisbech”.

A council spokesman said 75 per cent of work had been carried out before it halted in May.

Councillor David Oliver, portfolio holder responsible for conservation, said in July: “The council is anxious to ensure that the building is watertight and pigeon nesting prevented to stop any future damage.

“We continue to make every effort to force the owner to comply fully with the Section 215 Notice, and are now considering all the options available to us to get the necessary works completed, including potential legal action.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Wisbech Standard

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists