‘See you in court’ threat to Constantine House, Wisbech, owners after they snub Fenland Council’s deadline for repairs
- Credit: Archant
A bid to get Constantine House, Wisbech repaired – which was largely destroyed by fire more than five years ago- could now end up in court.
Solicitors are considering whether they have sufficient grounds to prosecute the owners after a deadline for repairs came and went.
Fenland Council has sent the case to its legal team “to review with a view to prosecution” after discovering no further work to repair the building had been undertaken since August.
“The owners of Constantine House in Wisbech have not complied with the Section 215 Notice requiring them to complete the necessary works by Monday, October 26, 2015,” a spokesman said today.
“And they did not exercise their right to appeal the notice”
You may also want to watch:
The council said an enforcement officer inspected the site on Monday.
The spokesman said “He reported that no further work had been done there since August. Consequently, the matter is now with our legal team to review, with a view to prosecution.”
- 1 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 2 Cheers to that! Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 3 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 4 Ladies mark return from lockdown with eight-goal thriller
- 5 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 6 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 7 Runners caught in their 'runderwear' for Three Counties
- 8 All you need to know about the new Vauxhall Mokka
- 9 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 10 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
A Section 215 notice financially compels the owners of these building to undertake the necessary restoration and this prompted work to begin.
Constantine House, in Nene Quay, which was formerly known as The Belfast building, was seriously damaged by fire in March, 2010. Earlier this year some work began on the 19th century building but for some reason work suddenly stopped.
Deadline for completion of the work on Constantine House, set out in a Section 215 order, was originally March, but the owner was granted an extension and it should have been completed by the end of June.
Work halted on the site before Easter and the workers have not been on the site for at least three months.
In August the council explained how they had worked “closely” with Constantine House owners to “realise a high quality redevelopment securing visual improvement to Wisbech”.
A council spokesman said 75 per cent of work had been carried out before it halted in May.
Councillor David Oliver, portfolio holder responsible for conservation, said in July: “The council is anxious to ensure that the building is watertight and pigeon nesting prevented to stop any future damage.
“We continue to make every effort to force the owner to comply fully with the Section 215 Notice, and are now considering all the options available to us to get the necessary works completed, including potential legal action.”