Second Mark Ovendale Memorial Cup match, in memory of late Wisbech Town and Luton goalkeeper, announced
- Credit: Archant
The second Mark Ovendale Memorial Cup match, in memory of the former Wisbech Town goalkeeper whose life was cut short by cancer, will take place on May 30.
Mark Ovendale, who represented the Fenmen from 1991 to 1994 before making the successful step up to the Football League, died of cancer aged 37 in August 2011.
He represented Northampton Town, Barry Town, AFC Bournemouth and Luton Town, who paid £425,000 for his services in August 2000, and York City.
Mr Ovendale moved back into the non-league game with Tiverton Town and Newport County before a hip injury effectively ended his playing career in 2007.
The match, which starts at 2pm, is being played between Macmillan FC and Hatters Talk FC from Luton.
Funds raised will be split between Macmillan Cancer Support and SoLYD (Supporters of Luton Youth Development).
The Ovendale Cup, which has been sponsored by Double G clothing from Kings Lynn, will be presented by Janet and Tracey Ovendale.
- 1 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 2 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
- 3 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 6 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 7 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
- 8 Megan realises netball dream ahead of Commonwealth Games bow
- 9 Man admits west Norfolk arson
- 10 Ferry Project charity to host job fair in Wisbech
Enoch Showunmi, former Luton Town player, will be returning to make a special appearance during the match.
The match is open to public and the more people that come down to watch the better.
There will be a raffle on the day with prizes available including Celtic tickets and an Amir Khan boxing glove.
The match will take place in Markyate, Luton, AL3 8PT.