Pensioner spots large seal in Wisbech river swimming under town bridge after thinking it was ‘a drowning dog’
A man has snapped a large dark grey seal swimming through the Wisbech river, under the town’s crossing bridge this afternoon.
Peter Roughsedge originally thought it was a dog drowning in the river but quickly realised it was in fact a large seal paying the town a visit.
Peter, who has lived in Wisbech for 14 years, says he has seen thousands of seals in his lifetime, but never one in Wisbech.
He said: “I was just coming back from getting my haircut after I spotted it in the river. I went back to my flat to grab the camera.
“Luckily he was still there when I got back. I managed to get him as he was swimming back out into the wash.”
You may also want to watch:
On-lookers watched as the seal headed under the bridge with a large flat fish in his mouth at around 1.20pm this afternoon (January 4).
Peter added: “I know it might not be that rare but I’ve just never seen a seal this far upriver before. He headed out to Freedom Bridge.”
- 1 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 2 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 3 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 4 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 7 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 8 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 9 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 10 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
Have you ever spotted a seal in Wisbech before? Have you got any photos you would like to share? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org