Can you help? National primary school reading scheme Schoolreaders calls for more Fen volunteers
- Credit: Archant
A scheme that provides primary schoolchildren with one-to-one reading sessions are calling for more volunteers in Wisbech.
Schoolreaders are looking for people to "spare an hour or two" to listen to children read at their local school as part of a drive to ensure that every child can read well before they reach secondary school.
A Schoolreaders spokesperson said: "Schoolreaders is looking for more volunteers in Cambridgeshire to carry out this important role.
"Reading time for many children at home and at school is often insufficient and one in four children are now leaving primary school unable to read to the required standard. This can have a lifelong consequence.
"Our volunteers find the scheme incredibly rewarding, knowing that a few hours helping a child learn to read each week can have such a great impact on their life chances."
You may also want to watch:
For more information about Schoolreaders or to register, visit https://www.schoolreaders.org.
- 1 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 2 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 3 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 4 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 5 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 6 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 7 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 8 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 9 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 10 A47 to close overnight near Wisbech for roadworks