Saviour of fenland goes on the market
A PUMPING station which saved the surrounding fenland from flooding for nearly 200 years is up for sale. The once remote Waldersea pumping station which is now close to the A47 on the outskirts of Wisbech, is on the market with a price tag of £750,000. Th
A PUMPING station which saved the surrounding fenland from flooding for nearly 200 years is up for sale.
The once remote Waldersea pumping station which is now close to the A47 on the outskirts of Wisbech, is on the market with a price tag of £750,000.
The old steam pumping station was built in 1827 and the newer diesel pump house in 1948. An era ended in 2002 when the diesel pumps were decommissioned and an automatic electric pumping station came into use.
Waldersea station became redundant and with it those who had been needed to keep a round the clock check on water levels, fuel supplies and oil pressures.
You may also want to watch:
Herbert Wheatley, who now lives in Walpole St Andrew, was born at the pumping station in 1927 and lived in the cottage behind it until 2001, when it was bought by Cambridgeshire Historic Buildings Trust. Before Waldersea, his father Herbert senior, ran a pumping station on the Forty Foot Drain.
Property developer David Housden, of March, and his daughter, Anna Rogers, took on the massive restoration project but have now decided to sell.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 5 Stolen French bulldog reunited with Wisbech owners 160 miles away
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 8 Princes win top food and drink industry award
- 9 Boy, 15, arrested amid crackdown on deliberate fires
Estate agency Harrison Murray says all structural works to the original buildings have been completed to the standard laid down by the Fenland conservation officer. Drains, water and electricity have been laid, but are not connected to the property.
Included in the sale price is a detached four-bedroom home which was originally the engineer's house, built in 1827.
The former steam pumping station has a wheel house with magnificent roof timbers and major extensions carried out in 1900 for the boiler house. Both the wheel house and the boiler house have planning permission to be converted into four bedroom homes.
The former diesel pumping station, which currently includes all equipment, also has planning permission. The selling agents say it is possible the engineer's house could be sold separately.