Thick black smoke fills the air as rubbish and tyres go up in flames
- Credit: Ian Carter
Thick black smoke filled the sky and could be seen across Wisbech after tyres and rubbish went up in flames in an accidental blaze.
Firefighters were called to Sandyland in the Fenland town at around 6pm on Wednesday (March 17) with reports of a large blaze.
Pictures quickly circulated on social media after black smoke was seen next to the Aldi supermarket – with some suggesting the fire began in the morning.
Online reports suggest the blaze began earlier in the day in a safe and controlled environment before the fire spread – these reports are unconfirmed.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “On Wednesday at 6.15pm, one crew from Wisbech was called to reports of a fire on Sandyland, Wisbech.
You may also want to watch:
“Firefighters used a hose reel to extinguish rubbish and tyres that were alight.
“The crew returned to their station by 7.15pm. The area was reinspected the following morning.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 4 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
“The cause of the fire was accidental.”