Double Paralympian Sam Ruddock to launch challenge at Wisbech school
- Credit: Archant
Double Paralympian Sam Ruddock will attend a Wisbech school to encourage children to jog for 15 minutes everyday.
The sporting star will launch The Daily Mile challenge at Nene Ramnoth Primary School on Monday November 4.
The school introduced The Daily Mile this term after taking part in the countywide 10,000 Daily Mile Challenge in support of Global Running Day in June.
Sam is currently training as a sprint cyclist for selection to the C1 classification in the 2020 Paralympics in Tokyo.
He started his career as a sprinter in the 2012 Paralympics before moving to representing GB in the shot put in the 2016 Paralympics.
You may also want to watch:
North East Cambridgeshire MP Stephen Barclay, has also supported the initiative.
He said: "It's important to spark healthy long-term habits from a young age and I have no doubt Sam's visit will inspire the children to lead an active, healthy and happy lifestyle."
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Burger entrepreneur excited to reopen as lockdown eases on May 17
- 3 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 4 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 5 MP Steve Barclay visits £14m A47 Guyhirn roundabout upgrade works
- 6 ‘This is not a puppy farm’ says breeder in response to planning objections
- 7 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 9 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 10 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
The Daily Mile, founded in 2012 by Scottish headteacher Elaine Wyllie, sees children jog or run at their own pace for 15 minutes daily.
Its strength is the simplicity of the initiative, with children going straight from the classroom to the playground or field.
Since January the number of schools taking up The Daily Mile has more than doubled.