Shop Local: The best price may be local says Robert Goddard boss
- Credit: Archant
Robert Goddard offers designer clothing from names like Hugo Boss, Ted Baker and Gant - at prices that can be better than a brand’s own website.
Syd Housden, the shop’s boss, said: “It often surprises people when they realise our prices are actually very competitive.
“There’s a perception you’re getting the best deal if you buy directly from a brand’s website - but that’s not always the case.
It’s definitely worthwhile shopping around and looking at independents as well because we may be cheaper.”
The Bridge Street store has seven members of staff who are knowledgeable in all the brands on the shop floor.
You may also want to watch:
Syd said: “All of us here can offer personal shopper advice, which is something you don’t get when shopping online.
“We know the brands that work and don’t work for certain people. Our customers really appreciate the guidance we can provide them.”
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 4 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 5 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 6 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 7 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 8 ‘This is not a puppy farm’ says breeder in response to planning objections
- 9 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 10 Two charged with Wisbech murder
He added: “This is expertise that’s available here, in Wisbech.
“You really don’t need to drive over an hour away to get to a big department store in Peterborough, Cambridge or Norwich for it.
“We’ve also made an effort to get to know our customers, and I believe that’s why they’ve remained loyal to us over the years.”
He openly admitted wedding and formal wear hire is an area of the business that was hit hard because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Weddings could not take place during lockdown.
The government’s latest advice is that they can go ahead now, but no more than 15 people can attend.
It means Robert Goddard has had to rely more on clothing sales. It also offers a tailoring service for anyone who needs any adjustments made to their clothes.
While Robert Goddard clearly focuses on its in-store customer service, online orders and click and collect have been growing in popularity over the last year.
“Obviously we’ve had to make adjustments to the store experience to make sure we’re compliant with all the government measures,” Syd added, “but everyone understands it’s what we have to do now.”
Visit the Robert Goddard website at www.robertgoddard.co.uk or visit the shop at 6-8 Bridge Street.
•If you are an independent trader and would like to be featured in our Shop Local campaign, email email@example.com.