Roads to close as part of National Grid’s �50m Norwich to Fenland power line improvements
ROADS will be closed next month as part of a �50million power line upgrade by National Grid between Norwich and Fenland.
The eight-month project is rewiring the 52-mile high-voltage line between Norwich and Walpole, near Wisbech.
Engineers are renewing the conductors (wires) and fittings and carrying out strengthening work on some of the 224 pylons that carry the wires.
Project manager Simon Chandler said: “This work will help to ensure that our electricity supply continues to serve us safely, reliably and efficiently for decades to come, securing our energy supply for future generations.
“We apologise for any inconvenience caused, but the road and lane closures are essential for the safety of the public and our workforce. We will make every effort to complete the work as safely, quickly and efficiently as possible.”
You may also want to watch:
The 400,000 volt power line was built in the early 1960s and now needs refurbishing. The work will enable National Grid to increase the capacity of the line and the network in East Anglia to secure future energy supplies.
The project is being carried out by National Grid, leading an electricity alliance with Balfour Beatty.
- 1 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 2 Pair questioned amid probe into catalytic converter thefts
- 3 The Great British Sunday is a rush to the pumps not the piers
- 4 Showcase status for Academy
- 5 Youth with 'police style baton' caught out by CCTV
- 6 Majority of councillors refuse to object to Wisbech incinerator - for now
- 7 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 8 'Emotional' quartet complete 10k for villager Paul
- 9 Secret Garden Party tickets sell out in hours of going on sale
- 10 New book launches recording family's Covid-19 experience
Road closures are:
• B1135 Whinburgh Road, Whinburgh, will be closed from its junction with Norwich Road to the junction with Dereham Road from October 4-10.
Motorists are advised to follow a signed diversion route along B1135 Dereham Road, Hingham Road, North Green, Mile Road, Letton Road, A1075 Dereham Road.
Temporary traffic lights and a contraflow is in operatation in Whinburgh Road from September 22 to October 5 and again from October 10-21.
• Lynn Road, Wiggenhall St Germans, is closed from October 6 to November 3, from Thiefgate Lane to Mill Road.
Motorists are advised to follow a signed diversion route via Lynn Road, A47 (eastbound), A10 (southbound), Thieves Bridge Road, Station Road and Lynn Road.
• High Road, Wiggenhall St Mary, will be closed from its junction with The Avenue to its junction with Wiggenhall Road from October 6 to November 13. A signed diversion route will be in place.
• The A47 at Necton is closed overnight from 8pm Saturday to 6am Sunday.
• Walpole Bank Road, near Walpole St Peter, will be closed from its junction with Folgate Lane to Wisbech Road for four weeks, from October 10 to November 13.
A diversion route will be in place via Wisbech Road, Police Road, Walnut Road, Mill Road, Lynn Road, School Road and Mill Road.
The River Great Ouse will also be closed near Wiggenhall St Germans from 7.30am-6pm, on October 6-7, October 10-21 and October 24 to November 3. The Relief Channel will be closed from October 6 to November 3.
If members of the public have any queries about this project they can contact National Grid community relations on 0800 804 7682 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, visit www.nationalgrid.com/uk/electricity/projects/norwichwalpole