Road safety work on the A1101
WORK has been carried out on the A1101 as part of the county council s drive to reduce accidents. Council officials said that two sets of work is being carried out on the road, which is a known accident black spot area. Amanda Mays, Team Leader Road Safet
WORK has been carried out on the A1101 as part of the county council's drive to reduce accidents.
Council officials said that two sets of work is being carried out on the A1101 Sutton Road, Wisbech, which is a known accident black spot area.
Amanda Mays, Team Leader Road Safety Engineering for Cambridgeshire County Council, said: "The accident figures at this site speak for themselves and the council sees reducing accidents here as a top priority.
"The works included cleaning and roughing the road surface to improve grip on the bends.
You may also want to watch:
"Tests were carried out before and after the work which showed a marked improvement. While traffic was being stopped the accident investigation team took the opportunity to create trial holes to find the major services ready for design work to be fast tracked on a major safety scheme to reconstruct the bend in the next financial year.
"This means we can organise the utility companies to carry out any work they need to do ready for the main scheme to begin.
- 1 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 2 Pair questioned amid probe into catalytic converter thefts
- 3 The Great British Sunday is a rush to the pumps not the piers
- 4 Showcase status for Academy
- 5 Youth with 'police style baton' caught out by CCTV
- 6 Majority of councillors refuse to object to Wisbech incinerator - for now
- 7 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 8 'Emotional' quartet complete 10k for villager Paul
- 9 Secret Garden Party tickets sell out in hours of going on sale
- 10 New book launches recording family's Covid-19 experience
"These planned works are part of our commitment to improving safety now and in the future at the bends. We agree with campaigners and local residents that this is a problem that needs solving as quickly as possible.
"Motorists must also play their part as some accidents have involved people driving round what is effectively a blind bend on the wrong side of the road.