REVIEW OF THE YEAR: Nene project shows how to reinvigorate community
THE Nene Waterfront Regeneration Project became the shining example of how to breathe new life into a small town and rural community, according to the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI). It was a measure of the high calibre of the project that the RTPI
THE Nene Waterfront Regeneration Project became the shining example of how to breathe new life into a small town and rural community, according to the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI).
It was a measure of the high calibre of the project that the RTPI President, Janet O'Neill and Richard Chillingford, Honorary Secretary of the East of England Branch of the institute came to Wisbech recently to present Fenland District Council with the East of England Planning Achievement Award for 2007
The award, which was accepted by Wisbech Cllr Roger Green, recognised the scheme as an exemplar for all other small towns in the East of England, setting the standard for Best Practice in planning regeneration schemes.
Mr Chillingford praised the Nene Waterfront Regeneration Project for delivering innovative and creative solutions to the problems of redeveloping areas of dereliction caused by changing commercial and economic circumstances.
You may also want to watch:
The difficulties of multi-ownerships of the site and soil contamination were just two of many problems which were resolved during the implementation of the project and the determination and dedication of the council officers and councillors to bring this scheme to fruition were factors in the decision to select the project for the Planning Achievement Award of 2007.
As part of the visit, the President Mrs ONeill saw for herself progress at the Nene Waterfront and heard about the recently launched web-cam which enables school children to monitor progress on the site.
- 1 Fenland Council loses fight to stop incinerator survey
- 2 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 3 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned
- 4 Tributes paid to 'much loved' Gabija killed in A605 crash
- 5 Man in court after more than £656k of cannabis seized
- 6 Fire crews free driver trapped in overturned lorry
- 7 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 8 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
- 9 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 10 'Sports cages' designed by Cambs company are helping children stay active
Mr Chillingford said: "Fenland in general and Wisbech in particular was fortunate indeed to have such a high quality planning team backed up by a far-sighted Planning Committee."
Cllr Green said: "The RTPI award recognises all that had been achieved so far at the Nene Waterfront. I have witnessed the evolution of this area over the years, and am pleased that the transformation is being held up throughout the region as a model which others should seek to replicate.