Rethink on gypsy policy
A COUNCIL is to think again over how it chooses suitable locations for gypsy and traveller sites. All 56 sites previously identified by South Holland District Council will be re-evaluated, with sites at Sutton Bridge and Long Sutton no longer considered t
A COUNCIL is to think again over how it chooses suitable locations for gypsy and traveller sites.
All 56 sites previously identified by South Holland District Council will be re-evaluated, with sites at Sutton Bridge and Long Sutton no longer considered the most suitable.
More than 150 people went along to a meeting of the council at which it was decided the procedure for selecting sites should be sent back to the council's cabinet.
Sutton Bridge residents had collected 500 signatures on a petition and in Long Sutton car salesman Melvin Upton said he feared for the future of his business if a travellers' site opened on adjoining land.
You may also want to watch:
The council agreed adequate provision should be made in the draft 2007/8 budget to provide 15 residential pitches and a temporary stopping place capable of accommodating 10 caravans.
Some councillors had voiced concerns that insufficient weight had been placed on locating sites further away from houses and that more rural sites had been discounted too easily.
- 1 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 2 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 3 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 4 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 7 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 8 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 9 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 10 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
A confidential paper will be considered by cabinet setting out options for enforcement action against existing unlawful sites.