Read to Succeed campaign very close to reaching target
- Credit: Archant
Local MP Stephen Barclay has almost reached his goal - to collect enough donations of new books so that every Year 4 child in North East
Cambridgeshire can have a new book to read over the school summer holidays.
So far, Read to Succeed has received 1,059 new books. It needs just 224 more for the campaign to reach its target.
Foster Property Developments is the latest local business to add their support to the campaign.
In the back of every book donated, Read to Succeed will place a library token, which each child can take to their local library and take part in the Reading Agency’s summer reading challenge.
The challenge encourages children to read six books of their choice throughout the school summer holiday and once completed, children will receive a certificate at an awards ceremony.
There are also prizes on offer for the schools with the most children who complete the Summer Reading Challenge.
- 1 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 4 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 5 Elderly man scares off would-be burglar
- 6 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 7 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 8 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 9 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 10 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
Mixed in amongst all the donated books will be one copy of David Walliams’ new book, The World’s Worst Children, signed by the author and illustrator Tony Ross.
All Year 4 children from across the constituency have a chance to win the signed copy of the book, which was organised by Waterstones.
Stephen Barclay’s office has also challenged itself to step away from the laptops and tablets during the school summer holidays and read six books with their children.
Due to the school summer holidays, Steve Barclay MP has already given books to Sutton C of E and Wisbech Grammar school and books will continue to be given to children throughout the next few weeks.
If anyone wishes to make a last minute donation to Read to Succeed, to help it reach its target, visit Steve Barclay’s website: www.stevebarclay.net