Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
- Credit: Terry Harris
They’re not the first, probably unlikely to be the last, but motorists driving through flooded Welney Wash Road leave behind a mixed bag of responses.
Some villagers simply notch up another point or two in the annual contest for the unofficial ‘competition’ run by a local Facebook page.
Those taking part get a point for every car towed from the road, two extra points if it’s a van or lorry, and five points if the driver gives up and abandons their vehicle. For the latter you need photographic evidence.
Cruelly, competition entrants get an additional five points if a rescue vehicle sent out to recover a flooded car itself gets stuck.
British sense of humour aside, villagers remain on the whole angry that thoughtless drivers use up valuable emergency services time rescuing stranded motorists.
You may also want to watch:
“The road is still flooded and closed,” says the Welney Flood Watch group that is active each time the road is flooded.
“Find another route.”
- 1 Police accuse Wisbech mayor and pub landlord of 'insulting disregard' to licensing objectives
- 2 Jail for sex offender who went abroad and missed his appointments
- 3 LETTER: High Covid rates in Wisbech and 'sceptic' councillors?
- 4 Port of Wisbech continues to defy the trend with 'remarkable' turnout
- 5 Two-car collision on A47
- 6 Two cars – including Range Rover – stolen overnight in keyless thefts
- 7 Mini digger worth around £14,000 stolen from building site overnight
- 8 Horror crash all because BMW driver left home with frozen windscreen
- 9 Police arrest 13 people, seize guns and more than £200k of drugs
- 10 'He absolutely pummeled me' - Man, 70, describes vicious attack
Although there was a small drop in river levels overnight, at 2.95m it is still classified very much as a road that is closed.