Rain? What rain as crowds ignore the weather to make Wisbech Christmas Market a spectacular success
- Credit: Archant
It’s a tradition that all agreed needed tweaking – and so Wisbech Christmas Market upped sticks and moved.
Not that it left town, of course, but the switch to a Sunday from a Monday was hailed by all as a spectacular success.
The rain may have strike a minor blow to proceedings but it failed to dampen the enthusiasm of the dozens who set up stall in and around the town centre.
And it certainly failed to dampen the enthusiasm of the crowds that came to support it.
“The town today was such a pleasure to be in,” said one market goer. “Well done to those who got today organised.”
Reindeers, the appearance of Santa throughout the day, and an abundance of Christmas produce and gifts – and some fairground rides- ensured there was much for all to enjoy.
Another enthusiastic visitor said: “I hope from now on it will always fall on a Sunday. “We got there for open but it soon got busy. Well done to everyone involved for correctly changing dates to a Sunday.”
- 1 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 4 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 5 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 6 Whistleblower shares story of bullying, fatigue and 'dangerous' hours at ambulance service
- 7 Sex offender case adjourned due to judge's concerns
- 8 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 9 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 10 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
A parent said: “Great day today the town was buzzing thanks to the people involved in getting access for Santa to arrive at Beales for Breakfast with Santa this morning ........the kids loved it.”
Councillor Michael Bucknor said: “There was a good turnout with lots to do. The ice rink was a big success. It was great to hear the children enjoying themselves, loads of laughter.
“The weather wasn’t too bad, just a bit of drizzle but it was mild.”
The Christmas Fair organisers were delighted with the day.
“Thank you so much for all the lovely comments- we’re pleased so many enjoyed the day,” they said.