‘Dream come true’: Fenland-born radio DJ gets presenting gig at BBC Radio 1
- Credit: Archant
A young radio DJ originally from the Fens is “unbelievably excited” after landing two presenting slots at BBC Radio 1 after Christmas.
Emily Pilbeam, who grew up in Wisbech, will present the national BBC Introducing show on December 17 and January 3 from 11pm to 1am.
The 23-year-old left the town when she was 18 to pursue her career in West Yorkshire where she normally presents on BBC Radio Leeds.
She said: “I’ve listened to Radio 1 religiously since a very young age so to actually be presenting on the station feels completely mental - in the best possible way.”
Emily volunteered for a local hospital radio station before she left for Yorkshire and began on Radio Leeds’ BBC Introducing show.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “Catch me on Radio 1 playing some bangers; I am so unbelievably excited, an utter dream come true.”
Emily usually also puts on gigs at local venue Oporto and DJs at Belgrave Music Hall. “But nowadays, my time outside of work is spent in the bath,” she added.
- 1 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 2 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 5 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 6 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 7 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 8 Body found in Wisbech road
- 9 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 10 Community group to review case of missing Terry McSpadden
You can listen to the show live or via the BBC Sounds app.