‘Dream come true’: Fenland-born radio DJ gets presenting gig at BBC Radio 1
- Credit: Archant
A young radio DJ originally from the Fens is “unbelievably excited” after landing two presenting slots at BBC Radio 1 after Christmas.
Emily Pilbeam, who grew up in Wisbech, will present the national BBC Introducing show on December 17 and January 3 from 11pm to 1am.
The 23-year-old left the town when she was 18 to pursue her career in West Yorkshire where she normally presents on BBC Radio Leeds.
She said: “I’ve listened to Radio 1 religiously since a very young age so to actually be presenting on the station feels completely mental - in the best possible way.”
Emily volunteered for a local hospital radio station before she left for Yorkshire and began on Radio Leeds’ BBC Introducing show.
She added: “Catch me on Radio 1 playing some bangers; I am so unbelievably excited, an utter dream come true.”
Emily usually also puts on gigs at local venue Oporto and DJs at Belgrave Music Hall. “But nowadays, my time outside of work is spent in the bath,” she added.
- 1 Chip shop’s new platter dish ‘The Great Gordon’ tribute to late founder
- 2 Fraudster rented out homes for cannabis factories worth over £300k
- 3 Two vehicles in ditches after crash on A141 between March and Guyhirn
- 4 Man, 37, named as A14 death crash victim
- 5 Paddleboarder dies after getting into difficulty on river
- 6 Man suspected of touching child outside supermarket
- 7 Wisbech based Alan Hudson centre receives third outstanding award
- 8 Health secretary to investigate financial redress for mesh-injured
- 9 Man who glassed another man in the head after a fight jailed
- 10 ‘Strange looking candy floss...’ seized during police patrol
You can listen to the show live or via the BBC Sounds app.