‘Put lives before money’ - Walsoken residents to argue the urgent need for a roundabout on A47 Broad End Junction at public meeting
- Credit: Archant
‘Put lives before money’ is the urgent cry from Walsoken residents ahead of a public meeting which will go ahead on Friday evening.
The meeting will see Walsoken residents argue the urgent need for the installation of a roundabout at the A47 Broad End Junction – a road which has seen 12 fatalities and 127 life-changing injuries in 14 years.
It comes after numerous complaints that recently fitted signs and newly painted double white lines will not improve the junction’s extremely poor layout.
Campaigners believe a roundabout must be installed in order to make the junction safer for residents, local businesses and all who use the A47.
Bridget M J Wall, who will be arguing for the installation of a roundabout, said: “One death is one death too many, one injury is one injury too many.
You may also want to watch:
“If this occurred on the railways there would a public outcry and a demand for immediate action,” she added.
“Highways England states that safety is their top priority; that it is committed to listening to customers (road users) and making roads safer (more efficient and effective).
- 1 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 2 Councillor wants flats plan binned
- 3 Body of missing Wisbech man found in Norfolk
- 4 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 5 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 6 60 care home residents and staff vaccinated
- 7 Man, 21, with 15,000 indecent images and videos plus 'paedophile manual' spared jail
- 8 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 9 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 10 Spat at police officer tests positive for Covid-19
“However, if this was true, they would listen to and acknowledge the concerns and views of local residents, local businesses, regular users of the A47 and the parents and families of the victims injured or killed at this junction.
“We urge Highway England to put lives before money and install a roundabout which would help save irreplaceable lives, prevent serious injuries and allow locals and all who use the A47 the right to do so without fear of their lives.”
The meeting will take place on Friday October 9 from 6.30pm at All Saints’ Church, Church Road, Walsoken.