‘Put lives before money’ - Walsoken residents to argue the urgent need for a roundabout on A47 Broad End Junction at public meeting
- Credit: Archant
‘Put lives before money’ is the urgent cry from Walsoken residents ahead of a public meeting which will go ahead on Friday evening.
The meeting will see Walsoken residents argue the urgent need for the installation of a roundabout at the A47 Broad End Junction – a road which has seen 12 fatalities and 127 life-changing injuries in 14 years.
It comes after numerous complaints that recently fitted signs and newly painted double white lines will not improve the junction’s extremely poor layout.
Campaigners believe a roundabout must be installed in order to make the junction safer for residents, local businesses and all who use the A47.
Bridget M J Wall, who will be arguing for the installation of a roundabout, said: “One death is one death too many, one injury is one injury too many.
You may also want to watch:
“If this occurred on the railways there would a public outcry and a demand for immediate action,” she added.
“Highways England states that safety is their top priority; that it is committed to listening to customers (road users) and making roads safer (more efficient and effective).
- 1 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 2 Community group to review case of missing Terry McSpadden
- 3 'No excuse' not to publish costs says funeral director
- 4 ‘Literally brilliant’ says author during school visit
- 5 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 6 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 7 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 8 Body found in Wisbech road
- 9 Plea to council to halt £6.5m crematorium plan
- 10 College launches new course in bid to tackle staff shortage fears
“However, if this was true, they would listen to and acknowledge the concerns and views of local residents, local businesses, regular users of the A47 and the parents and families of the victims injured or killed at this junction.
“We urge Highway England to put lives before money and install a roundabout which would help save irreplaceable lives, prevent serious injuries and allow locals and all who use the A47 the right to do so without fear of their lives.”
The meeting will take place on Friday October 9 from 6.30pm at All Saints’ Church, Church Road, Walsoken.