Progress being made at Queen's School
A SENIOR county councillor has expressed her delight with the progress being made at the Queen s School - but has warned that considerable challenges remain. Councillor Shona Johnstone, Cabinet Member for Children and Young People s Services, particularly
A SENIOR county councillor has expressed her delight with the progress being made at the Queen's School - but has warned that considerable challenges remain.
Councillor Shona Johnstone, Cabinet Member for Children and Young People's Services, particularly praised the work of Executive Headteacher Tony Cooper, his staff and pupils at the school in Wisbech.
The school was placed in 'special measures' earlier this year following a critical inspection by OfSTED - the Office for Standards in Education. Shortly afterwards, the school's governing body was replaced with an Interim Executive Board.
Cllr Johnstone, who visited the school last week, said: "The progress so far has been extremely impressive, particularly given how quickly it has been achieved and the enormity of the challenges the school faced.
You may also want to watch:
"I was impressed by the determination of staff to provide the very best for pupils, and the strong and effective leadership of Executive Headteacher Tony Cooper. The pupils themselves have now started to become aware of what education the school can offer, and they have a large part to play in helping the school achieve this.
"But I am under no illusion that there is a tremendous amount of work still to do. It has made significant strides over the summer holiday and in the first five weeks of term, but it will be a long haul and no-one should expect instant success.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 3 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 4 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 5 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 6 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 7 Bungling burglar confronted wearing stolen clothes
- 8 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed